www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 am 

Well if you use medication (and it works) for incontinence, you are dependent on that or any medical device used then you are dependent on those. I use diapers so I guess I'm dependent on diapers. In all actuality you are really not dependent on them. You are using a tool to manage what you are dealt with. I'm sure glad that they are out there so I can just go on with life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm 

I don't mind being diaper dependent as I have been a very long time. When it is unplanned and you try to regain control, but are stuck, it can be a shock. I was put back in diapers when I was 9, I ended up in them 24/7 for the summer and my control dropped way off with diapers. I tried and tried to get a handle on the wetting episodes after the summer, but it wasn't happening. My doctor told my mom that I didn't stand much of a chance before being 24/7 but had no chance of getting out of diapers again. I had panic attacks mad had tp accept myself to no control and diapers for good. I had major life adjustments to get over, but in the long run, it was the right time for my parents to put me in diapers 24/7. I have tried two other times to regain control and just ened up with bladder infections and wet clothing and my doctor scolding me. If your struggling with wetting and diapers, sometimes it is easier to just give in and go 24/7. The other thing, once you resign yourself to 24/7 diapers, just stick with it and try to have a good quality life without potty struggles. Also, once 24/7 don't try to bounce back and forth trying regain control, the chances are real small you will be successful. You can basically do everything you did before 24/7 and can do it in diapers.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 pm 

I guess I'm the contrarian here. I've had incon issues for 40+ years. Most of that time was random accidents (both 1 & 2) that I now know was caused by diabetes. When it first started, I was totally caught off guard, as anyone would. It put me in a many year depression where I went from control to total lack of control back and forth. When I lose control, I have no clue that I'm wetting. When my bowels go, I have 30 seconds warning. But this loss of control comes and goes. It may last for a week, a day, I have no idea when I will regain control. After getting so frustrated with accident after accident over the years, I decided to wear diapers when I left the house. I decided at that time that I take no diaper off dry, so even when coming home, I'd keep the diaper on and use it when necessary. I found that taking a diaper off is pointless as they are wasted because you can't reuse them. I took the chance that if I wasn't wearing a diaper when home, I can try to make it when I can but if I don't, the mop is close by. Well that didn't work out very well. It wasn't long before I moved from wearing diapers when I go out to where I would wear diapers 24/7, for the no-control period. At some point, I get a feeling back that I need to go. I'll let go a few times but I basically like continence and not wearing diapers so I try hard to regain control. But there was a period when my dry cycles were less and my wet cycles were more so I went for several years wearing diapers 24/7, mostly using it for 1 but if necessary, for 2. As everyone knows, diapers are a drag. They are the best solution except having control. My Dr. changed a prescription due to my diabetic neuropathy and to my surprise, I began to get some control back. I stopped wearing diapers 24/7/365 to a point where I have been using diapers when my wet cycles happen. I have tried to get some resolution on why I have these control cycles. When I lack control, it really goes. It is now normal for me to have no control of 1 & 2 so I can't exactly call it a wet cycle. It does drive me crazy that I can't get a solution that makes the wet cycles go away, but I really do like continence and control and I work hard to keep it if I can. I have a flexible work cycle and I can come and go when I want, with few exceptions. I always wear dark pants and I do have accidents out in public, but it usually is not a flood. But I have messed my pants and as Tom pointed out, it is most embarrassing and uncomfortable. I think I could easily be 24/7/365 and not worry about it, but I have come to the belief that control is good as long as it lasts more than a day. I've had times where I decide my control has returned only to have an accident the next day. I really understand the dilemma and have wrestled with it and still do. But for me, my control cycles now tend to last for weeks with no accidents or at most minor leaks. When I do have an accident, usually wetting the bed at night, I put on a diaper as a precaution. If I feel control, I will wait for a day and see if it lasts, using a diaper for everything. Most of the time, control doesn't return and I can go for weeks without a feeling of control. So during that time, yes I'm diaper dependent and I'm comfortable with that, and I've mostly found that it is easiest to just go and cleanup later. I do expect that my control may go one day and "the feeling" doesn't come back. If that happens, I have gotten to the point where that is fine. But for now, I'm happy for every day that I have control and can deal with life "normally". I know many don't have this "problem". My urologist said I'm way past the bell curve on this one but he can't explain why I have these strange cycles. As I said, it has been that way for 40 years, so I guess it isn't likely to change for the better, which was why I went to the urologist in the first place. Once he said I didn't have any identifiable disease, except for a strange bladder stone, I have just tried to deal with it and stay dry and clean when I can. I hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am 

This is a subject that I don't know that there is a right, or wrong answer. If you only have a small urine loss and have complete bowel control is much different than those of us that have a neurogenic bladder, and/or bowel with complete voids. The needs are very different and so are the type of products used. While a pad may work fine for a small voids, this will not be adequate protection for anyone that has a full discharge. Some of the of factors that have to be considered are mobility, and mental ability to know when to use the bathroom. There is another aspect to all of this that has to be considered and that is the desire. You may have the desire to use use the bathroom, but if you don't have the physical ability to make it to the bathroom in time then the use of diapers, commode chair, or other collection devices needs to be used.

Not everyone is the same. I have nerve damage due to a spinal cord injury, so beside being bladder and bowel incontinent, I have other health issues such as pain that I deal with every day. To a certain extent, pain effects my mobility, and having urge incontinence my incontinence can be small, to large voids. Anyone that has urge incontinence is diaper dependant, but this does not mean that everyone that wears diapers 24/7 does not use the bathroom. Everyone has to do what they think it best for them. I can only speak for myself, and I found managing my incontinence to be easier for me to just use the diaper all the time. For me, it was relief not to be worried about making it to the bathroom in time, or where I was, or what I was doing if I even felt the urge to go. A lot of this has to do with how much control, if any, you may have which is also a factory.

Over the years, I have used many different odor control med. The use of some type of odor control med is a MUST in my opinion for anyone that is bowel incontinent, and is very helpful for those that are bladder incontinent as well. I don't have any odor, so I can go any where and do anything and not worry about being incontinent. What every happens I don't worry about. When your already bowel, and bladder incontinent what difference does it make if you wet, and/or soil yourself? I'm diaper dependant and don't care. HOWEVER, if I was NOT incontinent and had full mobility 24/7 without pain, I would NOT wear diapers. I "accepted" wearing diapers and don't let it bother me, and I DON'T let it control my life. Bottom line,.....do what you think is best for you and don't give it a second thought as long as you have a life beyond being incontinent. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:43 pm 

Last edited by nothingtoseehere on Wed May 24, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:01 am 

Aaron,
I am with you on the subject of odor....regarding urinary incontinence. I've had situations way in the past and learned to heed some sage advice: "When you can smell yourself, others have been smelling you for some time!" So we are the last to know, if we think we are OK as long as "we" can't smell ourselves.

Cloth diapers introduce another aspect of odor that gets an occasional thread but I assume you are talking disposable diapers so the diaper is not going to introduce odor. Many disposables are helpful to us by adding odor control to the diaper. If you worry about odor be sure to seek diapers that offer such odor control.

I've not tried any internal odor control, such as the chlorophyll tablets, so I'll leave that for others to discuss.

There are diaper deodorants specifically for incontinence. One I rely on is "Fresh Again" Incontinent Spray (www.uncommonconglomerates.com) which has a distinct vanilla scent. There may be others on the market now that are unscented, as scents (in perfumes and after shaves) bother so many people these days.

Whenever I have a social situation where I will be in close proximity to people, such as a reception or a business meeting in a crowded conference room, then I will opt for the added security of the deodorant spray.

JoeK

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:12 am 

Odor control meds are not just for those that are bowel incon, they also work very well for unrinary incontinence. Diet, and other this can also help, but the easy way in my opinion is with the use of odor control meds. Nullo is fine, but I like Devrom over Nullo, and one that I just started using a month ago is equal to, or better than any of them and that is a med called "Mega Chlorophyll 100 mg". Very expensive to use,......LOL $5.40 for a bottle of 60 tables. You ONLY use 2 tables a day with the Mega Chlorophyll 100 mg, compared to 4 tables I was taking with Devrom, plus the Mega Chlorophyll cost less. I purched 5 bottles of 60 tables and received free shipping becuase I had an order of $25, or more. Devrom cost about $14 per bottle but that is for a bottle of 120 tables, and I think the lowest I ever paid for shipping was $6.50 for 4 bottles. Like I said, Mega Chlorophyll 100 mg work equal to, or better than Devrom, and I'm using 50% less to achive the same results. Fresh Again is another good product, but I use that product as more as a supplement than anything else. I know it helps, but I am not willing to trust like Mega Chlorophyll, of Devrom.

I became incon from a motorcycle accident myself, but the cause of my incon is due to nerve damage in my spine. I was only bladder incon in the beginning, but over time, little by little, I became bowel incon to. In my opinion, anyone that becomes incon from an accident has a period of time when your trying to adjust and cope with your new disability. I'm not saying that others do experience the same type adjustment if they become incon for other reasons, but if you were fine one day, and became incon over night there a great deal of adjusts that take time before you can come to grip with everything.

I'm lucky that I am a incomplete paraplegic,.....at least I am mobile, but having nerve damage causes other health issues besides incontinence. I have a lot of pain that I deal with and some days the pain is very severe. I don't know what I would do if I had severe pain all the time, but my pain goes up and down like an outdoor thermometer. The only difference is my pain can change faster than the weather. At least there is no pain associated with being incon excluding the use of a cath, or a UTI. If had pain everytime I have a void, I would have no other choice but to go a the use of a collection bag for both bowel and bladder. My urologist that is an option, but as long as I'm mobile, and able to care for myself the use of permanent collection device is not something I want to do as long as there are other options. If I ever got to the point where I become bed ridden and not able to care for myself,...then, and only then would I be willing to make any changes.

When it comes to being incon, I am very sensitive to certain things. Odor, bulk, and leaks are at the top of my list. It's taken a while, but sharing infomation with others is a big help and does cut down on a lot of the trail and error experiences which can also be costly. I have one short story that I need to tell you. I have posted this story before, there are certain times when telling this short story is very appropriate like now.

In 2007 I was was on returning home (Tucson, Arizona) after attending a funeral in California. I was at the airport and had already checked my bags in and gone through the last security check. I was wearing one of the Abena XPlus (M4) diapers with plastic pants. I have used this combination of products (diaper & plastic pants) all the time. I don't like to change in public unless it is an emergency. I know many ppl do change in public rests rooms and never give it a second thought, but I'm not one of them. I meant to have a carry on bag with a change in it just in case I were to have one of those emergencies but I fogot all about it and checked all of my bags in at the airline ticket counter. I forgot way the flight was delayed, but it was, and long before I was able to board the flight I was beginning to feel glad that I was wearing the Abean XPlus diaper because it had been close to 4 hours in that diaper and I was a little more than damp. As the line was forming to board the very delayed flight, I had a sudden urge and before I could say, "1, 2, 3, Geronimo", I had a full BM and fill the back of the diaper. This was one of those times when I really need to change but there was nothing I could but hope for the best. The big concern was odor, I had been using Devrom and felt pretty confident no one would detect any foul odor. It's one thing to think it, but altogether different if you experience it. I've experienced being out, and about shopping and had a BM before and not experience any problems, but I have never been in such as confined amount of space with so many ppl all around me. I remembered checking the fresh air vents over my seat so I was certain I was getting max fresh air flow to my seat area. I kept sniffing the air in an effort to see if I could smell any foul odor. I don't know what I would have said, or done if I did smell anything. I had the window seat, and the person seated next to me never knew he was sitting next to a person (me) that was wearing a very wet and heavily soiled diaper. This one experience sold me on the of odor control meds. It is not an option with me,...it is just as importat to take that med as it is to wear the diaper. I never gave being around other people in a confined area much thought until I experienced the worse possible situation I ever had. This was not the time for trial and error is all I can tell you having experienced this event. I was amazed how well this stuff really works.

It just takes one time to make a believe out of you. I'm thankful I was already taking the med so it just proved how effective these meds can be. I recommed the use "Mega Chlorophyll 100 mg". You only use two tables a day, and a bottle of 60 tables cost $5.40.

Hope this helps.