www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:56 pm 

When in my wheelchair I usually stand on my one leg and have my amputated leg on the chair and use the wall to change. Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of my amputation and I'm going to Starbucks to have coffee with friends. I'll be using my wheelchair because both legs are shot from overuse. I won't be able to stand like I usually do. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do when I inevitably have to change? I was thinking of taking some disposable chux pads and just sucking it up and changing on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:54 pm 

My heart goes out to you. Changing on the cruddy floor of a public bathroom, even one designated handicapped accessible, is the pits. Wear the most capacious, absorbent diaper in your inventory; pack a gym/diaper bag with everything you expect to need, and do not hesitate to request assistance, if you need it. Good luck and report back when you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:54 pm 

Thanks Patrick. I have found the most absorbant and best fitting for me is a bambino diaper. I have been wearing the "catstronauts" one. It's the least infantile design they have besides the white one and I actually like the design because it's got my 2 favorite things. Cats and space. Hahaha. It fits me perfectly and hasn't leaked once

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 pm 

So I ended up changing three times each time doing something different. (I was out all day).

The first time I changed on my one leg. Seeing if I could give that a try. I did it but struggled a lot.

The second time I changed on a chux pad. I did not like that at all.

The third time I changed on my knees. That was ok but hurt my knees kinda.

While I had no disasters I still have not come up with a way to change in my wheelchair. I have appointments Monday to Thursday and I'm going to force myself to use my prosthesis. It will be a challenge. Today was also my 3 year anniversary of my amputation. Lots of emotions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:05 am 

I can only imagine your emotions on this day. But I'll try, and wish you every success. I have an inner ear disease and a brain injury, which hinder my incontinence management in ways different than yours. Early in my experience with incontinence, an occupational therapist observed me washing and changing, and offered me several suggestions. First, I was doing it all wrong. She patiently showed me the safe way, not the way I was doing it at the time. With you, I risk falling every time I wash and change; I need to compensate. Perhaps a session with an occupational therapist might be as useful for you as it was for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:17 pm 

Hi Justej

I feel for you in the UK we have changing places with all accessories one could need from hoist to large flat surface and shower facilities!

We are so lucky in the UK!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:30 pm 

Patrick - I have taken your advice. I have a virtual appointment with my doctor on Thursday to get a referral to OT. I'm really nervous about talking to him. My incontinence is in my medical files but I don't know how much he has read. They should have shown me all of this when I was in rehab. But I was too embarrassed to bring it up.

Greenbank - yea I'm super jealous! Those bathrooms would help me so much. But we are far behind in dealing with disabilty needs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 pm 

A little addition to what I wrote yesterday. I've decided to just be honest with my rehab doctor. (he deals with all my pt scripts and Prosthetic scripts). I've even thought through how I'm going to ask him about ot. I'm going to say "when I had my accident I paralyzed nerves in my bladder. I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder now which means I'm incontinent and have to wear briefs. I hid it pretty well in rehab (even though I had a case them shipped to me while I was there.) But as a result I didn't learn proper incontinence management. I still struggle. It's been suggested I do a few sessions of of OT and was wondering if you could write me a script"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:28 pm 

Because I'm such a wuss I emailed my doctor and told him what's up. Hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:56 pm 

But you did it! Hooray! Keep us informed.