www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sewing your own.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:13 pm 

Hi folks,

I've read some posts where people have mentioned how they sew their own IC apparel, and I've recently discovered sewing. Started with a project I had to do for my boat, which turned into general maintenance and several YouTube tutorials to learn what the heck I was doing, which ended with me finding a new hobby. I really have enjoyed creating my own stuff, and fixing old clothes, or recreating something that fits really well .

That said, I made a few things to make life easier in regards to my IC. My favorite thing I made (after many attempts) was a compression pant that has a rubber grip fabric lining that holds my diaper in place. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I made a pattern so I can make more when I have time. I like that I'm able to tailor things to my own body.

I thought this would be a good topic for everyone here that sews, or is thinking about sewing their own stuff to share some ideas, or tips on what you found really helpful. I would also be super thankful for any advice on materials, stitch tips, thread, measuring etc.

Have you sewn any IC stuff for yourself? What'd you make?

Got any ideas you've wanted to try?

Have you found any good patterns, or things you got inspired from?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sewing your own.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:11 pm 

I also like to sew. I have made washable diapers for me. Yes, it took several prototypes before I got it right. I now wear cloth almost exclusively. The way I did it was I took a disposable diaper that fit and made a pattern. It is in the shape of an hour glass, just like disposables. If any one wants to know exactly how it is construed, I will post here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 am 

Yes please (when you have time). And thank you! Your comments about making your own plastic pants on another post before helped give me the idea. Haven't tried making plastic pants yet. That may take some practice. I'd like to find out where Driwear and other places source their Polyurethane (Euroflex) material. That would be cool to make my own pairs of those and save some dough.

Any other bits of wisdom you have about making this stuff is also welcome. There may be others that want to take an adventure and try it, so my thought is to record some good advice for folks to read up on someday.

My handy tip of the day is that Walmart sells diaper fabric 2yds for $4. (Some kind of diamond shaped weave, idk what that would be) My guess is that when all sewn together would make about an average size night weight diaper. (Total guess). That's a pretty good amount of savings.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:17 pm 

PLASTIC PANTS:

I found some trash bags in Publix. They are Husky Contractor Clean-Up Bags. They are 2 mil thick and 42 gallon size. Measure from your waist down to your crotch and add about 2 inches. Measure from the bottom of the bag and then cut the top off. Cut the bottom corners off in a diagonal manor. This may take some experimenting. You want the hole to be large enough for your legs but not too big.

Now fold over the top, about 1 and ½ inch, to make a channel for some elastic. Leave an opening to insert the elastic. Sew elastic on each leg hole. No channel is needed for the legs.

I have found that a walking foot is needed to sew on plastic. I also increase the stitch length to the maximin, this reduces the number of holes in the plastic.

Yes, they are big and baggy, but even with the cost of the elastic each is less than $1.00. I have found that 2 mil is strong enough but not too stiff. Using bags eliminates any side seam. When the pants are not usable the elastic can be removed and used again.

You may find that your first pant is not right and will need to do another. Remember that the elastic and be used again. It took me several tries to get it right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:09 pm 

That's super thrifty! Great idea. Thanks for sharing that one.

Keeping this thing going: sorry haven't been back in a while. I haven't felt very good over the past month.

"CG's Best Compression Pants"

Basic concept is stiffer fabric in the middle to hold your pad/diaper. Then stretch fabric around the hips and legs. I have used regular cotton for the middle, but I also found that fabric with a small amount of stretch can be beneficial too. The stretch knit for around the hips and legs sections is going to give you the good compression.

There are 3 panels two legs and a middle strip.

For the middle strip measure the distance between the inside of your hip over the public bone. You can make it wider or narrower to suit. I'm about 8 " ADD SEAM ALLOWANCE. That's the width. For length: measure from your belly button, underneath yourself, to the small of your back. Add a couple inches and seam allowance. (This is what I do to roll over a 1" waistband. When finished the pants sit nicely below the belly button. I am at about 32" for my length)

For the 2 leg panels: measure around your hips. (I'm about 34") now you'll want to take that and subtract your width of the middle panel doubled. Divide that result by 2.
So for me it's: 34 - (8*2)/2. This is the width of the panels. For length, measure from the small of your back to the bottom of your butt and add a couple inches so you can include the waistband.

Now take that middle strip and fold it down the center long ways. You'll want to cut out a semi-circle for your legs. Take your upper thigh measurement and divide it by 2. Now find a plate or something that is roughly that width.
Since your butt is longer, you don't want to cut this out right in the middle. Let your eyes be the judge, but you could measure from belly button to where the inside thigh starts and use that number as the starting corner of the curve on the front of the pants. Take your plate and line it up where that intersection starts. (This is on cut side, not over the fold line. ) You don't need a big curve. Leave yourself a nice width for underneath yourself. Explore how deep or shallow putting the leg curve cut outs fit you.

Final cutting step is making an angle on the bottom of the 2 leg panels to line up the corners of the leg curves. Here I just fold my middle panel in half like I'd be wearing it, and with a leg panel laid out next to it, take a ruler and align the front leg curve start to the bottom corner of the leg panel, making angle on the leg panel. Do the opposite for the 9th other side.

now just pin and sew the panels together. Add a waistband. I like using fold over elastic for the legs.

I realize how wordy my instructions are. Pictures would be better. These really are easy to make, and work really great for me. If anyone is truly interested in making these, please don't hesitate to PM me. I can try to attach some patterns I use, and pictures I hope this can help someone else out.