www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diaper cover
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am 

I wear thick cloth diapers at night...sometimes with an extra liner or double diaper. I am looking for a diaper cover to accommodate a bulky diaper. I have been using Gary Pul pants, and they work fine, but sometimes if I don't look check to see that my diaper isn't protruding from my back I may leak. I'm not looking for bloomer style pants, just something that extends the back a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis

Post subject: Re: Diaper cover
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm 

Dennis,
I have not used Gary brand PUL pants but have gotten the impression that they are built on the slimmer side to hide better under clothes.
I use Leakmaster PUL pants from adultclothdiaper.com. They are really built roomy for cloth diapers. Carefully measure your leg and waist sizes and consult their size chart. Use the largest size that will seal to your body. The sizes have some overlap. I use large for daytime and XL for heavier night diapers; both seal well and don't leak until the cloth gets really overloaded.

Drywear.com has high backed PUL pants but they cater to disposables so the crotch width is shorter and may be too tight for heavy cloth.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:00 pm 

Same advice as dp66. Use the largest size that will fix legs and waist. Covers should not hold or compress the diaper, else they will find a way to to get past the waist or leg elastics. I think the same suggestion is in the "primer".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:39 pm 

I use Euroflex (thin urethane) that are super strong, super thin, and super light. The only negative is that they are noisy if not camouflaged with a “support brief”.
They are made to cover cloth diapers very well when purchased per the size recommendations. I have purchased several pair of these pants, and still use the first pair I bought… a few YEARS ago, though I cycle through the pants. They are that well made! In fact, I recently discarded my last pair on non-urethane pants. Like I said, I use them 24/7, nearly alway over double diapers, some older (thinner) for day use and some newer (bulky) for nighttime. I have never had a problem with fit and coverage of the diapers.
I use a support brief always during the day to camouflage the thickness of the diapers under a dress. It also serves to quiet the pants noise. A snug support brief holds the garment in place when it gets wet and provides for a trim appearance. A snug brief over a disposable is problematic in that it doesn’t allow the absorption material to work to its fullest, significantly reducing the effectiveness and increasing the potential for a leak.
With that, I agree that snug waterproof pants shouldn’t be used with a disposable, in fact, I simply don’t get WHY one would want to wear plastic pants with a disposable. If the disposable diaper leaks past the leg opening or at the waist, seeping between the plastic of the diaper and the plastic pants, the liquid WILL find a way out. This is true for unlined pants. Pants with an absorbent liner can be used with disposable diapers as the liner will (hopefully) absorb the leakage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:14 pm 

Ellyn, Where did you purchase Euroflex diaper covers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:06 pm 

LL Medico
Llmedico.com
I have noticed them on a few other sites as well but I only have experience with the ones from above.
I’m very happy with the ones I have from there, in fact, they are all I use now. They are clear only, which is fine with me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:26 am 

Ellyn wrote:
With that, I agree that snug waterproof pants shouldn’t be used with a disposable, in fact, I simply don’t get WHY one would want to wear plastic pants with a disposable. If the disposable diaper leaks past the leg opening or at the waist, seeping between the plastic of the diaper and the plastic pants, the liquid WILL find a way out. This is true for unlined pants. Pants with an absorbent liner can be used with disposable diapers as the liner will (hopefully) absorb the leakage.

I think it's to conceal odours from fecal incontinence especially and to avoid clothes coming into contact with the clammy exterior of a wet "textile feel" diaper. Overnight, plastic or rubber over cloth over a disposable keeps leaks getting to the bed clothes; it's too much bulk during the day, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:50 pm 

Thank you. Some facets I didn’t consider. The fact that I’m urinary incontinent only is like having tunnel vision. In so many ways I feel very fortunate, and even blessed that I can live a very near normal lifestyle with only minor inconveniences compared to so many here.
When someone cuts you off on the highway or do other things that may seem rude, you don’t usually know the stimulus that makes them seem rude. They may have had a very bad day, a sick child or spouse at home, or a health issue of their own, and obviously so many other situations that require immediate attention. I alway “try” to not pass judgement as I too have had bad very days and health issues myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:47 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
I simply don’t get WHY one would want to wear plastic pants with a disposable. If the disposable diaper leaks past the leg opening or at the waist, seeping between the plastic of the diaper and the plastic pants, the liquid WILL find a way out. This is true for unlined pants. Pants with an absorbent liner can be used with disposable diapers as the liner will (hopefully) absorb the leakage.

In addition to what was said about fecal odors I use a plastic cover as a way to manage bulk and concealment vs protection. I just cannot predict how bad my incontinence will be day to day. Some days I have some control and will be 50/50 getting to the bathroom, other days not so much. I also can't always rely on being able to take a break when I need to. I could wear a Megamax with some boosters, but that would get really expensive. Also I wouldn't be able to hide that as easily. 98% if the time my Abena Abri-Form will keep me safe, but every now and then I may have a leak. In that case a thin flannel underwear over the diaper, and under the plastic cover is my last resort protection. Like you say it will (hopefully) absorb a leak. That's my reason for using a cover.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 pm 

Understandable. I guess I’ve never been that concerned with leakage past the disposable diaper or the added bulk of a thinner disposable under a dress. I do have to use a thinner disposable under trimmer fashions occasionally or a quality pull-up. I haven’t found the need, yet, to go with a waterproof cover. I DO use a compression brief when I’m in nice slacks or a form fitting dress, though I change much more often than I would otherwise due to the reduced capacity. It’s only good for one heave wetting, that’s it.
Otherwise, cloth rules!