www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:29 pm 

I'm curious about opinion on wetness comfort. I've seen a number of posts in this forum advocating the tabbed brief over pull-ups, mostly on the basis of leak protection. But what about wetness comfort?

I have the NorthShore GoSupreme pull-up that has extreme absorbency. It certainly does seem to do the job. But I find that it isn't very comfortable after the first wetting or so. It feels like your gonads are surrounded by cardboard, once the SAP is allowed to soak and harden (virtually dry). Comparing this to tabbed briefs, I find the brief to be more comfortable for 4-hour stints, like you might have at a sporting event. The brief seems to give you more space down there and less of a cardboard feeling with 4 hours use.

Would you agree?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:46 pm 

I haven't noticed this effect on the various pull-ups I've used. I suspect it's more related to a specific brand of pull-up rather than being connected to the fact that it's a pull-up and not a tabbed brief.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:25 am 

I'm not comfortable with pull-ups, because I'm always worried about leaks. Then there is the issue of having to remove my pants & shoes to change out a pull-up. I use them for specific times, and that is seldom.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:22 pm 

WetDad wrote:
I'm not comfortable with pull-ups, because I'm always worried about leaks. Then there is the issue of having to remove my pants & shoes to change out a pull-up. I use them for specific times, and that is seldom.

This is why I always been a fan of briefs. Pull-ups always seem to have issues for heavy wetters.

Hello, my name is Scott, and physically, I am 46 years old. However, thanks to abuse, and being special needs, mentally and emotionally, I am equal to about 6-10 years old. I'm autistic, deal with double incontinence, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:48 pm 

@Padded63
Quote:
I haven't noticed this effect on the various pull-ups I've used. I suspect it's more related to a specific brand of pull-up rather than being connected to the fact that it's a pull-up and not a tabbed brief.

You're probably right, since products do vary considerably. But things may also vary with the volume of urine. I probably am on the lighter side so that the SAP layer on a shopping run (pull-up) has some time to dry and get firm. If on the other hand, urination was more frequent the SAP layer would remain more flexible. My description of "cardboard" is an exaggeration of course, though I don't know how else to describe the stiffened sawdust. :lol:

Contrast that to a brief where the absorption spreads more evenly rather than in concentrated pockets. I guess comfort issues take some experimentation as well as other important factors such as leak protection.

@WetDad
Quote:
Then there is the issue of having to remove my pants & shoes to change out a pull-up.

I couldn't agree more about that.