www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:25 pm 

Anyone who has been wearing tape up diapers for a short while pretty much knows how to put one on, right? Well that's what I thought since I've been wearing tape ups for about three years, but it turns out there was something I didn't know. Maybe everyone else already does this and I just wasn't around the day they handed out the diaper wearing instructions :D but hey here goes...

Ever since I started wearing tape up diapers I've experienced a few minor leaks (haven't we all?) but I was a bit confounded since it didn't seem to matter whether I was wearing a premium or basic diaper. Recently I had just put on a ComfiDry 24/7 and during just a second small wetting I felt a leak at a lower rear corner. Upon checking the "fit" in that area I found that the gathers/leak guards were not fully in contact with my leg in that spot and were in fact riding up on my, how shall I put this, male anatomy. I adjusted the gathers and had no more problems but wondered why this happened, hadn't I put the diaper on snuggly? During my next change (I use the against-the-wall method) I pulled the diaper firmly forward as usual but thought I'd better check the fit in that same area. Sure enough the same thing had happened and the gathers weren't firmly against my leg even though they felt nice and snug.

OK so here's the trick, before applying the first tape I reach "waaaay back under" and physically make sure the gathers are not twisted and are resting firmly against my legs and not riding up on, ahem, anything else. Only then do I pull the front top of the diaper firmly upwards and apply the first tape. Yeah I know, this sounds totally obvious, and maybe everyone but me already does this so please don't take offense. However now that I do this "fit check" I find that about 50% of the time the gathers were not initially firmly in contact with my leg. Once I finally understood what was happening I was surprised that I didn't have more leaks previously. Note also that I've had zero leaks since I started using this method.

So please give this a try, you just might be as surprised as I was to find that the fit in this critical leak prone area isn't quite as good as you thought. And finally, I hope this helps others, especially those new to having to wear diapers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 am 

Excellent tip! :D

--John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 am 

Thanks for the advice. When I must use a disposable, I first fluff it and make sure the standing leak guards are truly standing. Then, after taping it on, I run my fingers 360 degrees around each leg hole, which is similar to your procedure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am 

anything to stop the sudden moons of doom. is a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
anything to stop the sudden moons of doom. is a great idea.

Now that's funny! I've heard of Half Moons before, and unfortunately seen them :o , but never Moons of Doom!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 am 

Yup, when i put on a diaper for extended wear, I always check to make sure its sealed at the legs. Not doing this has lead to more embarassing puddles and wet pants than I want to admit. :oops:

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II