www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:03 am 

I saw a YouTube video presented by Real World Incontinence channel concerning whether folding a diaper lengthwise, and massaging the padding improves absorption and capacity. I have been doing this for a number of months, and I have noticed an improvement in both categories. I would recommend those who use disposable diapers try this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 pm 

I agree, but be careful not to "massage" the padding too much, this can lead to premature clumping of the absorptive material which, in my opinion, reduces its effectiveness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:59 am 

I think the effect of this treatment deepens hardly on the product you use and how the fluff is precessed, so it might be wise also to consult the webpage of the manufacturer and look for hints. I think in all cases it's a good idea to fold the product in the middle, how ever - if it comes to the point of massaging the fluff it depends. Especially the cheaper products, try to compensate shorter fluff fibers and poor core designs with a hot processing while adding special melting glues to to fluffing process to keep the fluff in place and avoid a collapsing and the sacking down of the fluff from the upper parts of the diaper while wearing. These products often tend to react not in the best way if you try to breakup the fluff. In this case they also absorb sometimes faster, but also tend much more to brake down while usage.

Braking up the fluff will never help to extend the capacity of a product. It may help to speed up the absorption speed, and may help for a better feeling while wearing the product because it becomes a bit softer. How ever - modern multilayer core designs do not need that. If you overstress this point with the more modern designs it could be also contra productive, because you may destroy the core structure, that helps to spread the wetness over a larger part of the diaper what in the end result in earlier leaks.