www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 am 

Hi guys.
For the last couple of years I have stayed away from doing sports and gym due to my incontinence. Well in the beginning I carried on with various types of gym. Crossfit etc. but in these days, I could go with lesser protection like pads and pullups, very discreet. My situation changed and I needed heavier protection aka bulkier products and such, which again meant I stopped doing gym. I feared being outed by either my diaper showing and / or an obvious crincle and rustling. Giving up exercises meant only one thing, I got heavier, and the consequence is that I'm feeling angry at my situation, and keep saying to myself, if only..... and so on.

Well I have decided to join the gym / crossfit class again, but I need a discreet setup.
I have contemplated going to larger disposable pads or even cloth in some way, in order to keep my dignity and such.
I'm still in the evaluation phase, but I can feel I'm starting to get more and more annoyed from the fact, that I'm doing nothing to improve my overall health and well-being, and continue hiding in my safe home.

I do both have a demanding clerk job and are wearing business suits on a daily basis together with a tape diaper, without any trouble, and the suit helps disguise my level of protection. However going to the gym, wearing normal shorts and gym wear, makes me sweat...just at the thought.

What do others do, who have to wear heavier protection, but attend gym classes?

Oh yea, almost forgot, I just started sailing attended a sailing school, and learnt that at some point we shall practice man over board, well that caused me to almost panic.....going overboard and wearing a diaper, that will be a disaster.....so the above question, adequate but sufficient protection also applies here, only with the cavat, that when sailing I need several hours worth of protection, not only a couple of hours. One thing is for sure, I will not volunteer to be the one going in the ocean....If I can chose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm 

Though I don’t visit a fitness center as much as I should, I have found that to be comfortable and discreet, “less is more”. I use a pull-up alone or with a pad, depending on how my leakage trend is going. I take a break if or when a change is necessary. Wearing a disposable brief is asking for diaper breakdown and bunching due to perspiration and activity. Cloth is too bulky and uncomfortable for me with heavy workouts. Tena pull-ups don’t seem to be a problem. A pad in the pull-up absorbs the majority of wetness with the pull-up as a backup. For me though, a pull-up with or without a pad is a short term solution, though with a bathroom available, it works for me.
Honestly, I don’t see myself in a situation where I might get submerged in water and have to deal with a saturated incontinence product of any kind. Good luck though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am 

I think I posted a while back about my experience. Since my exercises are more clearly defined times, I can plan for a two hour timeframe. This means a TotalDry Overnight with a booster, if I need to hydrate extra. The reason I go with this particular brand is that they have the best tapes (barring the MegaMax). That said, these diapers are very thin, but they are very good at what they do, and I'm not stuck wearing my typical 6-8 hour configuration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am 

I have severe urge urinary incontinence. My bladder has a “mind of its own” and uncontrollably empties itself in floods with little or no warning. So I have to wear a high-capacity diaper wherever I go, including to the gym. I wear a ConfiDry 24/7 or BetterDry diaper with a pair of stretchy boxer briefs over it and my gym shorts over that. A diaper bulge is visible under the gym shorts, but I’ve stopped worrying about that; and nobody has ever commented on my attire. After my workout, I change the diaper while I’m in a shower stall. Fortunately, the gym where I go has private shower stalls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:32 am 

Thanks a lot for your contributions. A lot of different approaches, but also given the diversities in everyone's needs.
My bladder is totally unreliable, and will let loose at anytime no matter the circumstances, so based on feedback I'll have to try out different outfits. Wearing a tape on diaper does not work for me, not during exercises because of chafing and too much crinkle and rustling. I actually am considering a cloth contour diaper, it's somewhat discreet not much bulk, if any.

I'll report back once I have been to the gym :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:12 am 

I'm interested in your response. I've personally given up on avoiding the crinkle, but I certainly respect the chafing issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 am 

It's been a while since I went to the gym, but I did find a setup that worked very well for me. I went to the gym regularly for about a year like this:

I would wear Attends pull-ons (level 5) one size smaller than my regular diaper (small vs medium). Under loose shorts, they weren't noticeable and made no discernible noise.
Since I was only there for an hour or less, they were adequate protection for me. I attended a back pain awareness class like that. It was pretty crowded with no background music or noise. I was especially self conscious, but didn't notice anybody staring, so I assumed nobody could tell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:15 pm 

I have been going to the gym 3 times a week, sometimes more. I am able (so far) to not need a diaper during this time because the restrooms are so close and available. I will spend lots of time there on a tread mill because that is better during the winter months, and I can remain close to the loo.
This week, I am on holiday in Maui, and I am using the gym in our time share for just half an hour, then I go for a two mile walk along the beach trails. I wear a pair of swim trunks and a microfiber shirt that will absorb most any perspiration. There are enough hotels along the trail that I can take advantage of should I need to, so I didn't bother to wear my usual diaper during these walks. My oab seems to be lighter in warmer weather anyhow.
Well, on my walk yesterday, I got caught in a huge rain squall. I ended up soaking wet from the rain, and you guessed it, my bladder let go as well. Oh well. By the time I got back, I was all rinsed off. It was a great adventure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm 

:-) yes rain can be a trigger... For the last months my problems worsen again, but that happend also last winter. I think it's a combination of the temperature, wrong eating and my wight (over chrismas I gained 5Kg). So exercises are essential...
Unfortunately I need protection again also at the gym, and that feels indeed sometimes a bit embarrassing because when I change into my sport clothes it is obvious for every one who take a closer look that I wear protection. How ever I try not to worry about that because I can't change it anyway - and the gym is essential for me - that's at last what my mind said... But to be honest - it's not that easy. I'm not that into sports and exercises are really exercises for me... The equitation is pretty simple: more exercises -> less wight -> less incontinence problems. But the incontinence problem hinder me indeed sometimes to go to the gym - or give me at last a good excuse...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:29 pm 

Hi All

I wear a cloth backed breathable diaper in the gym for me MoliCare® Premium Slip Maxi is sufficient. You are all going to laugh at this point however to stop the chaffing I ensure the diaper is snug and wear a skort on top, this is a great item of clothing for anyone as has lycra shorts to hold the diaper security in place and a skirt part to hide the diaper. When it comes to changing my regular gym has individual shower cubicle however in communal changing I have a Poncho Towel to give me some privacy.

Greenbank