www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 am 

I've had several dry nights during the last 2 weeks, however, I have to consider last night to be a draw. I couldn't fall asleep, and after I had been up and down several times to and from the bathroom, I decided to put an end to the nonsense and voluntarily void into my pull-up. I had to void small amounts several times throughout the night. Part of my not sleeping was due to my feeling guilty and lazy. I don't know if I would have had a dry night or not, but I'm guessing not, since my bladder was so hyper.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

Wetters,

No, absolutely no. Using your diaper for its intended purpose: to give you a restful, uninterrupted night's sleep, is not being lazy. If your job involved driving, or using machinery, or if your responsibilities make sleep deprivation hazardous, letting that diaper do its job is doing the right thing. Use it and get some good sleep without any guilt.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:03 am 

I think maybe some of the issue here is the definition of a diaper.
As we grew up, wearing a diaper was the walk of shame. It ment we were small, inferior.
Why not think of it as it really is, an alternative toilet solution.
If you can't come to the toilet, the toilet comes to you.
To take the desicion not to destroy your main chance to get necessary rest may in reality be a mature decision.
You relate to the fact that you struggle, and deal with it the most effective way.
I think the key here is to separate losing a function from when we tried to gain that function.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:02 pm 

Thank you Patrick and optimist for your kindness and validation. I guess I feel it's somewhat ironic that I voluntarily chose to wet my protection, given the fact that I have been so heavily focused on (and very proud of) staying dry through the night.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 pm 

Wetters,

When you have a dry night, celebrate. But don't allow the occasional or even repeated dry night(s) to set you up for a fall. I occasionally wake up dry, but I know that sooner or later the dam will burst, and when it does, I'd better be protected. I try to keep my incontinence management goals as realistic as possible. And when I fail, I call that a learning experience, work to understand what it had to teach me, and move on.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 am 

Wetters,

I understand your struggle. I find myself often laying partially awake in bed needing to go and just releasing into my diaper. For me it is a matter of convenience and being able to get sleep. I have to wear wrist braces for Bi-Lateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and a C-PAP for sleep apnea at night. So for me to get untangled and free just to get up and go to the bathroom would cause me to be fully awake. I have a hard enough time falling asleep in the first place so to be completely woken up to go to the bathroom would keep me up for the rest of the night. For me, it just isn't worth it when I am wearing a full diaper anyway that can handle a full void and not wet the bed. Then I can just roll over and fall back asleep. There are times that I don't even wake up for this process. But when I do, a better nights sleep is more important to me than a dry diaper in the morning.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:32 pm 

Sounds like Overactive Bladder (OAB) If so, boy do I understand that one......often times this kicks up right around bed time.....I feel your pain....for a guy to wish somebody would put a foley in me, you know it has to be pretty bad.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 am 

I certainly get that, PB&J. I've had a catheter put in me twice in my lifetime, both during hospital stays not related to incontinence. Both instances were beyond horrible, and it was more of a convenience for the medical staff than for medical necessity.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 pm 

After reading about sleep deprivation and its link to Diabetes and Heart Disease and its severity, I value a good night's sleep and use adult absorbent briefs overnight. This is especially good for older workers who still have to function at a job and cannot take a cat nap in the afternoon to make up for lost sleep. My health is more important than any stigma of using overnight briefs. I also question parents who insist on getting their 2, 3 or 4 year old up at night multiple times. Put the kid in an overnight pull up to get a good night's sleep and the parent will also have a better night's sleep, especially when the parent would otherwise be getting the kid up as late as 2 am.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:34 pm 

I am sorry you are feeling that way! I know it doesnt feel like a "normal" way to use a diaper, but you are using a diaper to pee in because you cant make it to a bathroom in time. Thtas okay.