www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Allergy to brand?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:15 pm 

I've been trying to heal a rash for a couple of weeks now. Some improvement, then it gets bad again. I think it's due to the heat and sweat and all fun things wearing diapers in the summer. I also think I've tried all of the common treatment things. Cream, keeping clean, hair managment, not using my cloth diapers, letting skin breathe, etc.

One thing I maybe don't know is if one of the brands I'm using could have something that I'm sensitive to. I've been wearing a certain brand more often because they're cheap and work for at home.

Is this a dumb thought? Is it common to be allergic to a diaper? I realize it's possible, but has this been a thing for anyone here? I'm not usually allergic to things but idk. Or, could this be a bacteria fungal thing? I'm a bit lost for solutions at this point.

Post subject: Re: Allergy to brand?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:14 pm 

Try OTC diaper rash ointments, in addition to the usual remedies; if they do not work, check with your physician or a dermatologist. Good luck. Summer can be the pits for folks like us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:50 pm 

Try -medicated diaper specific creams- for diaper rash and change when you feel damp. Clean with anti-bacteria soap between changes. Re-apply cream. Air out when possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:11 pm 

Not a dumb thought at all. I don't remember the brand but I've had the same thing happen. Different companies use different chemicals in their diapers to control odor, absorption, and other properties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 pm 

Thanks everyone. Yes this has been a summer of (not so fun) learnings.

I have been using soap and water, and changing pretty often. I guess the only time I can't really do proper rash care is while I'm at work but I have upped my changes there too. I try to let my skin breathe every day too. I've been a lot more conscious of being dry.

Is there a medicated cream anyone highly suggests? I've been using Desitin in the blue jar daily.

And yeah, Padded, I've been using the McKesson Extended Wear Stretch tab briefs alot more as of recently. Could just be coincidence, but it's the one new thing I might have introduced to the mix. I suppose I could just use some other cheap briefs and see if that helps.

Much appreciated for the replies all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:51 pm 

I remember as a kid when disposables were first becoming a thing (think early 70's), I couldn't use them because I always got a rash, so it was cloth for me. It is entirely possible that you are having a reaction to something in a specific brand - more like a contact dermatitis kind of thing. Thankfully, as an IC adult, I rarely get rashes, but this reminds me to try to narrow down which brand I may have been wearing when they do happen.