www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 pm 

I decided to try Boogie rash spray. Works good and got rid of two bad spots in less than six hours. It does not seem very cheap but they claim there are 200 sprays in the bottle. Also it did not break down the leak guards on my BetterDrys.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:14 am 

For rash prevention, I have found that a thin application of coconut oil is very effective. It contains several anti fungal elements. I apply it when some pre-rash irritation is noticed.

With some irritation is noted, I apply Desitin as a barrier.

For prevention, I also "air out" daily. That is great for avoiding rashes. When your circumstance permits, sit "commando" on an absorbent pad for about an hour. You also can sit on an open diaper and then just tape it up. :)

If rashes do not disappear quickly, I ask my dermatologist to prescribe an antifungal cream.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:17 pm 

I keep my diaper area shaved, on the theory that all that hair offers the critters that cause rash find hair is easy to colonize. However, if I shave too close, the hair will become ingrown, which can be exasperating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:44 am 

I fully agree with Patrick (of course). I shave my nether region completely bare, including my scrotum. The latter is the most difficult part as it can be a challenge to fully shave the scrotum without accidentally nicking the sensitive skin there.

In addition to reducing odor and rashes, shaving the pubic area also makes it easier to apply and remove barrier creams.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
For rash prevention, I have found that a thin application of coconut oil is very effective. It contains several anti fungal elements. I apply it when some pre-rash irritation is noticed.

With some irritation is noted, I apply Desitin as a barrier.

For prevention, I also "air out" daily. That is great for avoiding rashes. When your circumstance permits, sit "commando" on an absorbent pad for about an hour. You also can sit on an open diaper and then just tape it up. :)

If rashes do not disappear quickly, I ask my dermatologist to prescribe an antifungal cream.

--John
(double incontinent)

I am allergic reaction to coconut (Which makes me numb), so that would not work for me. I found that almost everything that I have tried breaks down the leak guards in BetterDry diapers. The Boogie spray doesn't seem to do that.

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:59 am 

ThatFLGuy, have you tried Desitin? I have used it with diaper changes between 6 to 8 hours and had no problem with it affecting the standing l leak guards in BetterDry diapers.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:30 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
ThatFLGuy, have you tried Desitin? I have used it with diaper changes between 6 to 8 hours and had no problem with it affecting the standing l leak guards in BetterDry diapers.

--John
(double incontinent)

I have just about every cream I can get from Destin to Aquaphor as well as other creams for rectal care.

The best thing about the Boogie spray is that it only puts on a thin layer.

My issue is that I had an ileostomy(Ostomy bag) done back in April so my bowel is not part of my digestion anymore. Well, I have to drink 3-5 liters of liquids a day so I pee a lot. This leads to my man parts getting very sore so having cream is a must.

The best thing that I have ever used is Ammens medicated powder original formula.

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:55 am 

At least your experimentation has found a couple of things that help you.

I drink a lot of water but not nearly so much as you. Wow.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:33 pm 

Hi All

I shave my diaper area really short so the itching does not occur.
Keep hydrated 2 litres of water a day.
When at home air out to allow diaper area some fresh air.
Two showers morning and evening non scented soap Dove etc.
Keep skin in diaper area moisturised.
Inspection with mirror to apply any medical cream early to prevent rash starting.
Change diaper regular.
Clean well when out if can find changing places great if not plenty of shower facilities around if you know where to look.

Hope this helps

Greenbank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:14 am 

My routine is exactly the same as Greenbank except that I take only one shower each day.

An important item Greenbank mentioned is the handheld mirror for self-inspection to identify the early signs of pre-rash irritation. The earlier you can identify the beginnings of a rash, the easier it will be to stop it. :)

I shave my nether region completely bare, including my scrotum. That not only reduces odor but makes it much easier to apply and remove barrier creams.

--John
(double incontinent)