www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:01 am 
I began wearing diapers years ago for convenience as I traveled and never had a problem. But in recent years I have been battling what my urologist believes is non-bacterial prostatitis. The symptoms get better and worse, but there doesn't seem to be a cure. To help manage the constant need to urinate, I have be resorting to diapers--they're the only thing that keep me sane some days.

But lately I seem to be noticing that my symptoms actually seem to get worse on those days that I wear a diaper. I've confided in the urologist's physician's assistant about this and he has assured me that there is no relationship--though he did caution me about becoming dependant.

So, have any of you heard of this? Can wearing and using a diaper cause urinary problems or is this all in my head?

-RMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm 

Hello again RMS,
I must admit that I have not training in urology, and my physiology dates back to one course in graduate school days, but I am quite skeptical about the assertion that diaper wearing can exacerbate prostatitis. I happen to have been diagnosed with that problem (known as BPH), however, and have more than a passing interest in the matter.

First, how would a diaper be able to cause such infection? Urine is sterile, and if diapers are clean, there appears little chance of infection during the 4-6 hours (maximum) that a diaper is worn. Second, if there were some infection, then there would be other symptoms, such as low-grade fever. There is the "psychological" possibility that knowing that one is wearing a diaper would make one feel freer to void - rather than "holding it" until one can conveniently reach a toilet. The obverse of that is the kind of anxiety one feels if one has an urge and wonders whether he/she will be able to "make it" in time to the toilet. There could be all kinds of psychic feedback with physiological consequences - not all of them healthful.

So I would demand evidence of precisely what kind of physiological process could account for an increase in frequency of voiding. Even if that evidence were available, what are the implications. Is this really infection, or is there some other (I suspect psychological) process at work?

If diapers did cause an increase in voiding, or some type of infection, we would have heard more about this. The communication channels are quite open on these matters.

Please keep us posted - and insist upon hard evidence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:57 pm 
Thanks for the reply, Michael. Please don't misunderstand, I don't have any evidence, and no one has told me that wearing diapers could be the cause of my problems. I'm just saying that there seems to be a correlation between wearing diapers and my symptoms.

As I said, I began wearing diapers for convenience while traveling and then began having problems. I have no way of knowing if there's a connection, but there sure seems to be.

I get what you're saying about urine being sterile; I don't get how there could be a relationship, but . . .

I have lots of theories about what makes the problem better and worse, but this one seems to be pretty consistent.

-RMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:17 pm 

Hi all when talking about prostate and diaper wearing Iam no DR. but my prostate problems came before the incon. So as a guess i would say no it would not cause prostate problems.Thanks Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:13 am 

Believe me, first comes the prostate problems (cancer mostly) then the diapers. Not the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:31 pm 

Hi PAPA I was lucky my prostate is not cancer just enlarged which causes the incon good luck.