www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:09 pm 
Mike, you make an excellent point about the Velcro diapers, but I've never had much luck with Velcro. Maybe it's because of my beer belly, but every time I sit down in a Velcro diaper, the Velcro strains, making the diaper too loose, or, worse, pulls apart. I've not tried the ones from Kins or Diane, but I have some other diapers from Kins and they're really good. No quibbles there.

I guess the reason I posed the question the way I did was that I am an able-bodied man who really wouldn't benefit from a pin-on diaper. I get that people who are bedridden need the pin-on for ease of changing, but those of us who can stand, I just don't see the benefit. They seem like such a pain in the . . .

Thank you again for taking the time to post, Mike.

-RMS

Post subject: Velcro vs pin-on
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 am 

Hello RMS and other friends

Not having a "protruding belly" problem, I was unaware that velcro closures can pop when changing positions or sitting. I should point out that the contur velcros that both Kins and Diane sew have elastic both at the waist and legs. They are like oversize jockey briefs! So I don't think their garment fasteners will pop. I've never had that experience - even when by accident I've pulled the diaper.

The only other (cloth) choice would be pin-on, and I beg to differ - pin-ons are not just for those who are immobile. If you follow the primer's directions, the pin-ons will hold up even in all-day action. I actually use pin-ons alternating with velcro, when I need a thicker diaper mass to hold for several hours.

Keep searching for solutions!

Michael (same as Mike L - I guess I've two aliases!)

Post subject: Cloth diapers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm 
To: Joe K, and others who have posted such informative and helpful information to those of us suffering with incontinence.

First, Joe K, your Primer is the best source I've ever read on the management of incontinence. Congradulations on such a fine document.
It surely has helped me, and I'm sure many others.

I have been incontinent most of my life, and still find cloth diapers the most effective method on incontinence containment. I noticed in the Primer the mention of diaper services. I have always used a diaper service, from early childhood to now. While many services have gone out of business over the years with the development of disposables, there are still some that continue to exist from Mothers that prefer and appreciate the superiority of cloth diapers, and for incontinent adults who prefer a soft cotton diaper versus a paper product. For those of you that might have a service available in your area, it might be worth investigating.

Post subject: This and That
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:28 am 

RMS, thanks for your Sunday post catching the authoritative vs authoritarian thing! You know, that didn't ring true when I typed that but was rushing, as usual, and didn't check it out in the dictionary! :wink:

Mike L's posts always make good reading, it's good to see him on this board!

RHW, I am most grateful for your kind words about our Primer but must share that praise with lots of people including our webmaster, Schoppy, and a retired professor in Canada who lent both content and a professional editing job. Many have contributed content and we constantly seek comments and input from the incon community. You specifically mentioned diaper laundry service. I've no experience whatsoever with that, so that was a contribution from a female incon who noted in the original Primer there was no mention of commericial diaper service. We want to think of the Primer as an ongoing source of information that we update and revise constantly as new contributions are made.