www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:12 pm 

I had osteomyelitis a few years ago and was on antibiotics for 8 or 9 months. the affect on my bowels was dramatic and completely unpredictable. I tried various remedies from controlling odour without any success. I think one has just to live with it and get off and change when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 pm 

I went ahead and ordered a couple of bottles of Devrom to see how it compares to activated charcoal. At a couple dollars cheaper per bottle hopefully it will work better with my meds.

Post subject: I tried the ....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:16 am 

Devrom for 2½ bottles. Did make a difference, changed the color, and some less odor. But I had to take the Devrom each time I ate something. Finally just quit taking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 am 

To get back on topic - I drip all the time, but yes, I will "let go" when need be. If I'm at home, I'll use the toilet unless I'm having a bad day, and it just won't flow. If it won't flow right - I don't see any benefit being on the toilet trying and/or waiting to empty my bladder. i can do just as well standing in the shop while I'm working on something, as I can hanging out in the restroom.

I've seen so many people carrying around back packs thrown over one shoulder lately (the smaller style packs) and i thought "Why not carry one with what I need on a day to day basis? I can carry it around, and put my ipod in the front zipper pockets, and even some other odds and ends, and if I need to let myself flow - I can always excuse myself if I'm with someone, and use the restroom. i won't have to wait IN the restroom while I try to empty my bladder, and I can do a quick change, as needed, then return to whatever I was doing.

Seems to work pretty well. As many have said in their comments - We wear a diaper - use it. Well - although I get that statement - sometimes "making" yourself go seems like a lazy attitude, but "letting" yourself go to avoid lengthy restroom stays seems the way to go.

just my 2 cents, which ain't worth a penny in today's economy.

-

Michael

Post subject: Letting Go
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 pm 

I have urgency, frequency and urge incontinence caused by Cauda Equina Syndrome. I wear diapers and plastic pants 24/7 and experience frequent, uncontrolled wetting. I do occasionally experience a normal urge to empty my bladder and almost always will just use my diaper. I use an Abena X-Plus, and I haven't figured out a way to remove them without ruining the diaper. Even with a normal urge, I still only have one or two minutes to find a bathroom, so by the time I can get to a bathroom, pull down my plastic pants and un-tape my diaper I've usually wet or am wetting anyway. It simply isn't worth the effort or expense. I discussed this dilemma with my wife once, and she agreed with me. The hassle and stress of rushing to a bathroom, and then not making it as well as the expense of extra changes due to tearing up diapers doesn't make a lot of sense. As she put it, "You have a diaper on, so you might as well use it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 am 

I some times have control and some times not with both Urine and Bowel incontinence.Urine I don`t worry about but bowel I do.But most of the time it is only one or two times a day that I have that.Urine some times I will just leak steady and not even know it till I am soaked.I most of the time can feel when I need to go but will leak in between.Bowels when I feel it I better be close to a rest room or I will fill my diaper.The only time it is a bother is when I am away from home and worry about the smell as most on here.
As with Sandy I am wet to some extent most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 am 

I have found that activated charcoal, nullo or Devrom all work well to greatly reduce bowel smells. Anyone who is bowel incontinent should be using something like those for simple social etiquette. The goal in managing incontinence is to spare yourself from public embarrassment on do your best not to be offensive to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 am 

SeattleDoug wrote:
I have found that activated charcoal, nullo or Devrom all work well to greatly reduce bowel smells. Anyone who is bowel incontinent should be using something like those for simple social etiquette. The goal in managing incontinence is to spare yourself from public embarrassment on do your best not to be offensive to others.

I have been taking activated charcoal and Nello they help but not enough all the time. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm 

Don't take Nullo and Activated Charcoal together. The charcoal will absorb most of the active ingredients in the Nullo. Take one or the other.

If you are already taking Activated Charcoal then only use that. Take one with every meal. If that isn't working take two with every meal. Don't take any other medication within a few hours of taking the Activated Charcoal because it may absorb some of the medications while the are in your stomach making the other medications less effective for their intended purpose.

Devrom and Nullo are best taken on a schedule independent of meals. With either one you should spread the doses out over your day. For example, I take two Devrom in the morning and two more about an hour after dinner. If that isn't working I add one more to the after dinner does. If I still need more odor control I can add one tablet in the middle of my day.

You have to adjust the does until passing gas has almost no.odor. Then your bowel movements will be nearly odorless.

I'm not a doctor so take the above only as my own experience.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm 

Nello did not seem to do that much for me.I stayed on it for over a month.
The charcoal seems to do better but still not smell proof. :( And yes I watch when I take it and my heart drugs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next