www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Landfills
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:43 pm 

Mike, Wear cloth nappies/diapers at night and you will save the land fills 365 diapers a year. (plus save about $365.00 a year if you use high end protection.) Papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

Hi Papa,
Thanks for the idea.. but, and theres always a but isnt there?
i have tried a couple of different cloth diapers, for the very reason you spoke about, i dont know what it is about cloth, but everytime i tried, i rash up within a few hours all over the nappy area, my butt and scrotum, even my penis.. damn painful to put it very mildly. I tired different methods of washing them, different detergents, softeners etc, same result, even some of the diapers used to leave me with 'jock itch', the nappies i used now, thankfully, have relieved the rashes and the itch.

seems i have very sensitive skin or something, was told once by a doctor that i was allergic to my own urine.. dont know whether to believe that or not though.

i am one of the lucky ones, i do get a 'nappy allowence' from the health center in ireland. so i dont have to pay for nappies, thank goodness..

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:54 pm 
Admin

Wow... you guys have it so much tougher then I do, I really feel badly for what you are up against! Makes what I have to deal with like a cake walk... syndromes and diseases I have never heard of, and transplants are serious medical issues before, during, and after they are done. So far all my tests have turned up nothing too serious to point the cause of all this at, and seeing a neurologist is most likely not going to happen, as if it is nerve damgae which the doc and I both think it is, most likely nothing to be done to help/cure it. If I can maintain day to day life and work, that is my main concern. Just knowing what is coming at me is key, the unknown travel or detour off the planned events for the day is where I have difficulty.

I actually went to see my doctor yesterday for a nagging hack I have been battling, makes having a hernia just a big'ol party. Along with the prostate infection making it feel like I have to go ALL the time, I have to suit up in a diaper and cover pants to go out for more then half an hour. I knew there was other stps to make before I got anywhere near home again. The dribble/squirt when you cough does not help stay dry either. All the previous visits I have made to see him I have had a pull-up on as I limited fluids before I went in, and that was the only stop for the trip, then back home. I really don't like any of the pull-ups I have tried, and the fit is not anywhere near as snug as a diaper is, even better with a liner in it. I get there, and am imformed that he got called out for emerg. surgery so I am seeing another doc... man, my heart started pounding, just dreading having to explain all this over again. I mean, if you looked, you "may" be able to tell I was a bit thicker in the lower regions, but I do wear tight underwear overtop, and then longjohns over top the plastic pants to keep it all snug. I tucked everything in just to make sure, as I had never even heard this doctors name before. She came in, asked what the visit was about, went through the "how long/other symptom list about my cold/cough, and of course, "take off your shirt and I will have a listen to your chest," which is rattling like a diesel engine. My heart was pounding in fear, why I am not sure, it just took me so long to finally come out I guess. She was at my back, and if she saw the tail end of anything sticking out of my pants, she never said anything, but I am thinking she had to have seen it. I was just waiting for the brick to hit the floor and have her ask me why I was wearing a diaper, but thankfully that moment never came. I would not have had a problem explaining, but for the sake of leaking, and convienience, it is by far the best, cheapest, and for me, most secure way to deal with it. I am just glad she didn't ask me to drop my pants! :oops: I have a hard time seeing myself in the mirror when I am in one, let alone having anyone else have to see that would be tough... I guess the day will come when I just won't care... I can accept and deal with it for me, but don't really like the idea of anyone else knowing about it, let along having to see it, if possible. I am expecting my next visit to my doc to have a few more questions for me as to how bothersome this has become, and how/what I am using to deal with it, as the fill in doc could not have missed seeing it, she was just not going to ask me, but for sure will relay it to him.. Like I mentioned before, when I told him I had this problem I mentioned the external system, but the diapers will be a whole new issue I am sure. I think doctors think they have failed at helping you if you have had to resort to using one, but for me, it is by far the easiest option for a wet, difficult and embarrassing problem that at least allows me to drink what I want to, and in enough of a volume to stay hydrated & not have to hide in the house till it all gets processed and is not a threat to me, I can get out, get to town and not worry about getting caught again in public, and that will never happen, believe me.
I looked at the Abri pants on the XPmedical site, and they would simplify the support/cover for me, but I just can't justify the shipping costs from him for Canada service. They are almost $20.00 US to mail here for 2 Abri pants, and 2 Vinyl-coated Waterproof . I have done a lot of mailing via Ebay, and that is outrageous in my opinion. I just recently found a Lycra/spandex pant/underwear, at Walmart of all places that works like a charm. Very snug, and keeps everything tight to the body, which I found to me a must to avoid leaks. Active wear is the make if anyone is looking for something to use over top. That's about it for now, off to find dinner, Puff