www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:37 am 
I'm wondering about this more and more lately (it's driving me crazy). I have urge incon (taking detrol), and for no apparent reason, touching water or hearing water flow (faucet) gives me a strong urge to pee. It wasn't like this before (or is it just that I never had noticed before?). One of the worst things is doing dishes (washing hands comes 2nd and soaking in tub 3rd). By the time I got my hands in the sink I have to run to the washroom, it's ridiculous, and it makes absolutely no sense to me. There's no link between my hands and my bladder (other than psychological?), yet, it does happen time after time, even if I try to convince myself that it won't. I don't know what I hate the most - either that it gives me the urge, or knowing that it makes no sense that it gives me the urge...

Anybody knows why it's like this, has similar experiences, or am I just plain nuts?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 am 

What you describe are "classic" symptoms of urge incontinence. I've had similar experiences for years and years. Other common urge triggers include standing up after sitting or lying down for some time, approaching the front door of the your house, approaching the bathroom door (especially if you discover it's occupied). I don't really understand how these triggers work, but they are typical of urge incontinence.

Post subject: Water Sounds
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:28 pm 

I've had the water sound problem ever since I was a small kid and wasn't incontinent. The urge was there back then, but I could control it. Now, many years later, I can't control it. It's really wierd how your brain lets those type situations control your bladder muscels, but it does. My doctor says it's normal and effects many people. You're not nuts!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:10 pm 
Thanks for the quick replies! Like I said, I never really had that problem before (with or without having urge incon) until recently... Sounds like it's more common than I first thought (at least I'm not nuts :lol:). I'll ask my uro next time I see him, perhaps he's got some in depth answers? We'll see I guess.

@Paul, say, you're not into politics by any chance? ;) (I'm from Canada)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm 

Hi All yes the water sound will make me go when I was young could hold it better it sure is alot harder now to control it was at service station getting gas when you guessed it leak.Thanks