www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:23 am 
I want to know, for how long, can a normal person hold it, before urine just burst out of his control (leak, go out)

And what level of pain (holding it) should be consider not normal

Does urine incontinence, occur gradually, meaning, if it gets harder with time holding it,
is this any kind of sign

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:24 am 
There is no universal answer to that. It depends on your liquid consumption, bladder size and all. I've had to pee minutes apart many times, and at other times (being dehydrated) not even once a day.

As for pain, I wouldn't really consider it normal, unless you really try to hold it beyond what you should... Discomfort maybe, but pain is pushing things.

As for the last point, not really. There's different kinds of uninary incontinence, and they're all different. Not being able to hold for a long time or having accidents is a problem for sure. But it's normal to be only able to "hold it" for so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:13 pm 

Guest M 26,

I second the insight that there can be wide variability in bladder capacity and control. As for pain, I have a neurogenic bladder, which gave me pain as intense as any I have experienced. At its worst, my bladder held a measured 1.25 ozs., whereupon it went into an excruciatingly painful spasm. As you can imagine, those spasms hit several times each hour, 24/7. My urologist prescribed morphine until he could operate. The cure was to infuse a nerve poison into my bladder, destroying the offending nerve endings, and, later, he gave me a sphincterotomy, surgically destroying the valves which control urination. Those bladder spasms could have destroyed my kidneys. In essence, I traded pain so bad that I would be a drug addict now, plus the real threat that those spasms posed to my kidneys, in exchange for incontinence, 24/7, with no hope or expectation that I will ever be able to live without protection. I came out far, far ahead in that deal. The urologist who put me permanently in diapers gave me back my life.

Carl