www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: quick follow up
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:51 am 

I have laundered these four times now and it is no easier to pin them now then the first time so I won't be ordering any more and I will use these as stuffers.
PS: I apologize if I sounded like a smart a-- in my last reply about my pinning experience, what I meant to say was I have worn cloth diapers for all of my sixty two years and have changed myself since I was eight and was trying to convey the pinning problems with this diaper so that the members could take that into consideration before ordering any of them.

I have thought about those snappy's but I don't think they would work for me because I use four pins and a lot of overlap on the sides, in other words I pin them with the top pins at about 10 & 2 o clock Because I am a side sleeper and it is very effective to stop any leaks.

Post subject: Boomer, have you?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:01 am 

Have you contacted Robert at CTDC about your problem with pinning the diapers? He may have a solution for you.

Scott

Post subject: Snappies instead of pins
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 am 

Hi Boomer,
Again, thank you for the review on the new twill pre-fold diapers from CTDC. They are supposedly soft and comfortable....similar to gauze, just denser and harder to pin, as you point out.

Snappies may or may not work in the dense twill. The little teeth are sharp, that's for sure, and very tenacious in gauze and birdseye. With the extreme backward hook to the teeth, I would think they'd hook onto any fabric.....even the tough twill, but I don't know for sure!

I also four pin as you do, with a lot of overlap which works very well, as you point out, for keeping the bed absoultely dry.

The Snappie is a rubber bungie, T shaped with the hook part at each end of the tee cross and at the bottom of the T stem. For an infant, the Snappie pulls the two rear edges (wings) of the diaper together across the belly with the cross of the T and the stem of the Tee pulls down to hook into the front crotch of the diaper.

As I said, we don't use them the way they were intended. I cut the stem of the T off, leaving a straight bungie with a hook at each end. I use four of these modified Snappies.

I like the convenience of being able to put my night diaper on standing up. I back up to the counter with my night diaper against the rear waist, much like putting on a disposable. I gather up the diaper thru the crotch and onto my stomach. I bring one rear wing around to over lap the front and put a Snappie low down on the hip from the rear wing onto the front of the diaper and repeat for the other side. Then I go back to side one and put a Snappie on the rear wing high up where the waist is and pull it across to hook on the front of the diaper. Repeat for side two and I'm done. When I do side two I move away from the counter and pull hard on the wing to stretch the original Snappie already secured, before adding the opposite side Snappie.

Basically I'm saying the Snappies go where the pins would go if I were pinning. The four Snappies do a good job of holding the overlap in place and you can even taylor the tension for how much holding power you need for your diaper by how much you stretch the Snappie after hooking it to the back wing before you hook it to the front of your diaper. I actually was surprised at how little stretch I needed for keeping my night diaper secure. I'd use more tension if I were to try these by day, but I haven't done that yet, preferring the confidence of my four pins that my diaper stays secure for a long time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27 am 

Try keeping your diaper pins stuck in a bar of soap when not in use. The soap lubricates the points of the pins and helps to get them through the denser diaper materials like flannel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:55 pm 

They have been laundered six times now and almost all the shrinkage occurred in the first was and dry cycle.

As for the pinning they are still very hard to get a pin through with or without soap on the pins.
As for the softness while they are soft there not nearly as soft as the adult cloth diaper company's gauze diapers that I normally use.
I will stick with the A.C.D.C. gauze for now even though they are more money.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:20 pm 

Hi Boomer,

Robert here from CTDC. I have read your posts and may understand why there is a problem with pinning our pre-fold diapers. However, I do have two questions?

What size diapers pins are you using? I doubt you are using the regular size diaper pins made for infants and maybe have some Dritz blanket or skirt pins which are more suitable. Both of these pins are about 3" long as I have seen them in numerous fabric stores. I am fortunate enough to have visited the United Kingdom many years ago and was able to purchase the Boots overnight and Newey jumbo snaplock nappy pins which slide through the diaper twill material like butter. Both pins are very sharp and about 2 1/2" long. If you have some of the Cosykins 3" diaper pins, this could be the problem. The shaft of the pins is too large and will not easily slide through most diaper materials. As someone suggested, keeping the pins stuck in a bar of soap will allow them to slider easier through the material.

How many layers of material are you trying to pin through? Too small of a pin through too many layers of material will make it impossible to pin properly. My pins easily slide through eight layers of the material and fasten with no problem. This is enough to secure the diaper. Trying to get the pin though most of the layers to include the soaker panel will make the task more difficult. Are the pins more towards the hip area (sides), or more towards the front where the 10 layer soaker panel is located?

I noted you purchased the XL pre-folds which might be too big based upon you waist and weight. I have a 38" waist, weight 190 pounds and the large prefold is a better fit than the XL. I have an XL and requires the material to be folded over at the front and sides which makes it difficult to pin even when my large diaper pins.

I believe shrinkage will have nothing to do with how easily the pin will slide through the material. The weave will become tighter and should not pose a problem.

Are the CTDC and ACD diapers the same size? I have several gauze pre-folds from ACD which are a little larger than the CTDC XL. There is no problem with either diaper and the pins slide easily through both materials.

I am intereted to know more about what types pins you are using and how many layers of material you are trying to get through. The more information available to us may lead to a possible solution.

Hope to hear from you.