www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm 

I wear The Abena extra plus diapers and although they are the best disposable diaper with cloth-like absorption sometimes the tapes don't hold up as well. I am quite active during the day as I am a building contractor. Besides the addition of a booster pad in my daily diaper I use clear duct tape across the tapes at the leg openings. This technique has completely eliminated tearing of the tapes under daily stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm 

That's a decent idea. I used to be a huge fan of the Abena X-plus... I still wear them sometimes... but you are right on when you say the tapes don't hold very well if you are active.

This is a major reason that I switched to the Bambino diaper. Comparable capacity, increased comfort, and no tape problems all at a comparable price.

Post subject: Taping over diaper tapes
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 am 

Good tip for good diapers with less than perfect tapes!
And good for you for NOT letting your incon slow you down at all. I was active when I was working in industy and diapers were the only management tool that would allow my work activities crawling around and over and under machinery.

This thread recurs now and again, with folks lamenting the "lousy tapes" often found on otherwise great diapers! I have felt the quality of tapes and holding power diminished with the advent of refastenable tapes. Many of us have no use for "refastenable" tapes....we tape on a diaper in the morning and have to get on with life and work....as JRB points out. Those of us who are active need diaper tapes to hold strongly no matter what we are doing.

I have suggested filament tape, the strong stuff used for taping packages, which may be cheaper than duct tape but it is super strong and if you have to change while out and about it can be a major hassle.

JRB uses clear duct tape and it is also available in white if you can't stand the usual silver color. If you have to change while out, there is some chance you can tear the duct tape....which is an advantage. There is no way to tear the filament tape and who wants to carry scissors in case they need to change?

Another great use for the supplemental taping is the snugger fit of a six tape diaper! The Abena X Plus gets heavy as the day wears on and it stays up and more comfortable for me when I tape the legs, waist and the mid point between the tapes.