www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 pm 

Ya know how disposables that are plastic back have the sticky tape design that isnt really useful for tape repositioning? But, the cloth backed diapers are great with the velcro tabs. But, they only have 2 tabs. I've never found a disposable diaper that has 6 refastenable hook and loop tabs and has a waistband. I used to think that 6 tapes and a waistband were necessary features.. But, after a few months of using Tena ultra and attends breathable.. ive become a real believer in the 2-tape design. Yes, it doesnt fit as well sometimes..but i dont have very many leaks at all. Not to mention i almost NEVER end up wasting a diaper trying to apply it. I wonder if tena ultra would be any better if they had a waistband. You guys have said Tena makes a good diaper. I have to agree. Compared to the attends breathable.. the tapes are MUCH better. the entire tape surface has velcro grips on it instead of just a few strips as with the attends.. which makes the tape stay. Occasionally i do have a few instances of tapes scratching the skin.. but these are pretty good. I think my faves are attends with waistband. I still have not had the fortune of buying a case of them. Whether i will or not remains to be seen. I've kinda gotten attached to the refastenble tapes fetaured on the tena ultas..

But, maybe the perfect disposable would have cloth like backing ,waistband, and 6 tabs that were refastenble. Is that even possible to do? Would it be expensive? I don't know whether the cloth like backing is a good thing or not.. all i know is, when it comes to applicaiton, ive had MUCH better luck with cloth-backed diapers. But maybe thats just me.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject: Taping on a diaper
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:05 am 

Hi Soci, this discusssion is interesting, but don't hold your breath waiting for a manufacturer to "get right on it"......<grin>

I am in the group that dislikes clothlike backed diapers, finding them abrasive to the skin when walking. Plastic backed diapers provide a natural slip against my skin that makes extended wear with a lot of walking comfortable only with plastic diapers.

You are right about fastening and I will agree with you that 6 tapes provide what I'd call the ultimate fit. I've had my share of bad sticky tapes for plastic diapers. I have also found the hook and loop fastening used with clothlike backed diapers is very secure....better than most sticky tapes.

I would like to see....as long as we are dreaming here....sticky tapes that work. That most likely would mean making them "non refastenable" as I can recall the tapes used before refastenable became the norm were very effective.

I don't really see the need for refastenable tapes for most of us active people wearing diapers. We aren't into checking the diaper to see if it needs to be changed, we change it on a schedule. For those who can use the toilet at times, it seems the pull on products are ideal and facilitate toilet use. For the few who need the extra capacity of a tape on diaper, they would have to seek out and use diapers with the refastenable tape system.

I'm sure it would not be cost effective for a manufacturer to offer diapers with both tape options, but that would sure be nice!

When it comes to the "perfect disposable diaper" I would like to see three models offered. Four if you count clothlike and plastic separately.

The low end diaper (four tapes) would be for hospitals and institutions where they are changed frequently so need not be high capacity.

The mid range diaper (four tapes) would be for people who can toilet some of the time and need refastenable tapes and moderate absorbancy. It would be available two ways: plastic backed with refastenable sticky tapes and clothlike backed with hook and loop tabs.

The high end diaper (six tapes) would be for people who aren't going to change the diaper except when it is time. Plastic backed and six non refastenable sticky tapes would make for a diaper that goes on and stays on securely for the duration. For those who must have cloth like....there are cotton pull over pants / underwear that will fill that bill.

Now I know this is not going to happen, Soci, so I put on my Abena X-Plus and then add filiment tape over their tapes and add my middle tapes for the secure fit that is going to last me 6-8 hours without sagging or leaks.