www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:14 am 

Hey all. I guess I'm posting because I could use the support....

I spent last weekend in the hospital. Last april I spent 5 days inpatient because I had a blood clot in my jugular vein. The clot is still there and caused an edema in my forearm. It took 2 shots of morphine just to get me comfortable and stop the tears. Im to continue my blood thinners and have an appointment to see my hematologist. I had a port placed for one of my medication infusions and thats why i threw the clot. My doctor wants to remove the port and switch my med. This one is working so i am not thrilled.

Also changing a diaper in an er bed is HARD.

A good thing that happened is i celebrated 21 years sober. I didnt get sober to live this kind of life though. Always sick, in a wheelchair, spending most of my time in bed...

I missed y'all

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:16 pm 

21 years is a great accomplishment my friend. We all have our problems, and I can certainly sympathize with yours.
Two thoughts for you:
1. Imagine how your life would be if you didn't get sober. You are way better off this way, even if it involves some difficulties.
2. Only focus on the current 24 hours.

You will be in my prayers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:59 pm 

I'm very sorry to hear about your serious medical issues. Isn't there anything that they can do t get rid of the jugular vein blood clot? Are you being treated by the best available medical team?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:53 am 

Add my congratulations on your extended sobriety. I am familiar with the contortions necessary for diaper changing while bed fast, and yes, they are exasperating, frustrating, but necessary. I hope your medical caregivers handle your situation competently. Such blood clots can be lethal, if not treated properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:46 am 

I am proud of you for being 21 years sober! That is impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:29 am 

21 years is something to be proud of!

Sorry you are having a rough time. Hang in there.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:27 am 

Thank you everyone SO much.
Sorry it took me forever to respond. I've been dealing with a severe case of thrush, some abscesses and of course diaper rash.

Its sometimes hard to think of the good things in my life when my health is in the toilet. I don't know if I told you all but my beloved cat Emma passed away the day after my knee surgery last year. My partner found her. January 16th the following month, though, I adopted the sweetest black 3 year old cat. I named him Atticus and as silly as it sounds he has been such a great support. He head buts me and sits in my lap and cuddles when I am going through it. Hes so amazing.

I can't imagine going through all this if I were drinking and using. It would be a nightmare. Im present to follow my doctors orders, take my medication correctly and on time, and express my needs.

Thank you all SO much. Your support is invaluable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:46 pm 

That's so great Elijah. And cats are great friends too (we have 3). Health can indeed throw great challenges at us, but never give up. You are important to all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:30 pm 

justej wrote:
Thank you everyone SO much.
Sorry it took me forever to respond. I've been dealing with a severe case of thrush, some abscesses and of course diaper rash.

Its sometimes hard to think of the good things in my life when my health is in the toilet. I don't know if I told you all but my beloved cat Emma passed away the day after my knee surgery last year. My partner found her. January 16th the following month, though, I adopted the sweetest black 3 year old cat. I named him Atticus and as silly as it sounds he has been such a great support. He head buts me and sits in my lap and cuddles when I am going through it. Hes so amazing.

I can't imagine going through all this if I were drinking and using. It would be a nightmare. Im present to follow my doctors orders, take my medication correctly and on time, and express my needs.

Thank you all SO much. Your support is invaluable.

Elijah,

So sorry to hear of your health troubles, but grateful you've made it that long sober. I am just starting my sobriety journey. It will be 2 years sober next month. The jury is still out as to whether I am actually addicted to alcohol or whether I just tend to drink too much because I have a problem with moderation in general, but either way it is best to simply avoid alcohol. It has actually lost its appeal. Last night I walked through the beer aisle on my way to where I was going for m job, and I glanced over, and saw an IPA beer. IPA used to be my favorite kind of beer and that used to be tempting. Now, its like, "oh its IPA. Meh." So I'd say that is definitely a step in the right direction.

Hang in there friend, it can only get better from here!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:53 am 

Alcohol is obviously a serious problem. I worry constantly about my son.

Even though I can drink in moderation, I've recently had to give it up totally. Thanks to diabetes inflicted nerve damage, alcohol impairs my vagus nerve that goes through the stomach/gastro intestinal system such that I suffer from gastroparesis. The alcohol impairment leads to nausea causing vomiting and severe cramping that lasts for 3 or more hours. During GP there's no comfortable way to sit, stand or lie down when that cramping starts. I usually have to finish vomiting and wait long enough that I can lie down in some fashion. Then if I can manage to fall asleep, I can get through this when the system eventually recovers.

Again, kudos to those that have had to work through the addiction side of it.