www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 am 

Gastroparesis can be torture, especially for incontinents. The continual abdominal cramps, the threat of a bowel accident at any moment, juggling medications and diet while trying, unsuccessfully, usually, to be attentive to my surroundings and family, and on and on. I have had bowel accidents during high school concerts, musicals, and sports contests, and with my family on vacation at the shore. Although I am not forced to manage an amputation, I do have a brain injury which makes strangers stare and children point. I am glad to be able to offer and receive support. Folks here understand in ways and details that the able bodied folks do not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 am 

Gastroparesis cramping can be the pits. Although I do not get it as frequently as you do, when it hits, everything else stops for me. It can last moments, or hours, and I never know which. Vomiting, diarrhea, and unpredictability exacerbate the experience. I am grateful when my diapers work successfully, and I can get on with the business of living.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:24 pm 

Quote:
Gastroparesis means paralysis of the stomach. It's a functional disorder affecting your stomach nerves and muscles. It makes your stomach muscle contractions weaker and slower than they need to be to digest your food and pass it on to your intestines. This leads to food sitting too long in your stomach.

Torture is a good word for it! I've only encountered it when I had a beer or more, or liquor. At one beer, I thought I was safe, but even that brought on hours of grief. The first time I had it was when I was up at a cabin and had a few beers spread over the course of the day, followed by a BBQ in the evening. All went well until midnight when I had to get up in the dark and make a trip to the outhouse. I promptly vomited and then suffered cramps after that (these were mild cramps this first time). But since then, the GP has got more serious for me.

So, the best thing for me is to simply give it up! My last time was the worst, after having a couple of chicken-milks (rum and eggnog). I thought I got away with it until the next day. It started at noon and lasted the afternoon. I guess I am a slow learner but I have got the message now.

It can also happen when I eat too much, so I have to be more careful about that too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:03 am 

I spent another weekend in the er. Its getting real old! The good news is my blood clot is shrinking. The bad news is my pain is off the charts! Pain management gave me more meds that are slowly helping.

Its funny i miss the days where incontinence was my biggest struggle. These days when I am in the hospital I just list it off and the fact that I wear diapers as casually as something like asthma. Its SO not a big deal anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 am 

I really feel for you guys. I admire your courage. You make my issues seem so trivial.

--John