www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is This Normal?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:55 am 

I’ve only been discussing my incontinence issue here for a short time but I don’t know what to make of my recent issues. With age I have kind of expected my incontinence to get worse but I’ve now had several nights where I’m wearing a heavy duty diaper like the North Shore Mega Max with 3 Incontroil Boosters and a diaper cover and all of a sudden I realize I’m leaking.

This is within less than 3 hours of a diaper change. Is this a normal progression? These diapers suggest 12 hours of protection and with booster I expect more than that so why am I having leaking issues?

Post subject: Re: Is This Normal?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:12 am 

Do you mean that you are leaking, or is your diaper leaking? For me, urinary leakage is continual, 24/7, with increased flow after I have eaten or drank something, such as water or coffee. My goal is to wear adequate protection and get on with life. In discussing what is or is not normal, incontinence itself is abnormal, so within that context, what works is both a goal and normal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:15 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Do you mean that you are leaking, or is your diaper leaking? For me, urinary leakage is continual, 24/7, with increased flow after I have eaten or drank something, such as water or coffee. My goal is to wear adequate protection and get on with life. In discussing what is or is not normal, incontinence itself is abnormal, so within that context, what works is both a goal and normal.

I now have the same attitude incontinence is a constant in my life I wear the necessary to manage it and enjoy life as much as possible. Looking back to the start of all this in the days before the internet I remember how scary it all was so many questions feelings and emotions. Took me time!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:31 am 

In my personal experience, I find that boosters only increase the risk of leaks.
Megamax is a pretty amazing diaper on its own, have you tried going without the boosters?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:00 pm 

I find that your sleeping position can play a major role in leaking. I wear a TENA (NA) Super (cloth backed) with plastic pants for overnight. If I sleep on my back and pee in my sleep, I leak out the rear. This is because I'm usually pointed upward with the result that the urine flows over my hips and down my backside and out of the back of the plastic pants. So for me, the boosters would be of little help. By sleeping on my stomach, I tend to avoid that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:54 pm 

I think regular non-cloth boosters are OK for daytime (i.e. sitting/standing) but when you are laying down you really need a booster that has the maximum acquisition rate, not just capacity, which are really two totally different things. At night I always add a 100% cotton cloth booster to my tape-up style diaper and on top of that add a LeakMaster PUL pant. The cotton booster pad makes all the difference. Adding additional cotton boosters can help with both acquisition rate and capacity to meet your needs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:17 am 

I always use boosters. However, I note that you are using three boosters. I would suggest that three is excessive and probably are causing pee to flow over your diaper's internal standing leak guards.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm 

Thank you for the replies.

I’ll try to answer all the questions.

I meant to say that the diaper is leaking. Luckily the diaper leaking hasn’t happened since I posted this so I must have been consuming too much liquid.

I live in a very dry climate and being winter it is much worse so I think I was compensating by consuming more liquid. I will wake up in a middle of the night just to take a drink as I start to feel like I have a sore throat and I even use a humidifier in the room.

I have tried just a diaper and less boosters and a leaking diaper was occurring more often.

I also tend to change my sleeping position through out the night.

I am trying some tighter diaper covers so maybe that will help when my issues tend to get worse but recommendations are always appreciated.