www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:32 pm 

There are often times when my diaper has reached capacity without my realizing it, so when I sit down, I have issues with press out causing a leak, or when I stand or walk, I leak around the leg openings. To help keep clothes, furniture, etc. clean and dry I have been using waterproof diaper covers.

I have tried a number of different types and brands. I found the thinner vinyl cover did not hold up long, as the materiel would soon rip around the legs, waist, or side seems. Heavier vinyl covers (7 or 8 mil) hold up better, but I found whether they had exposed elastic openings or enclosed elastic (to prevent wicking), the heavy vinyl is scratchy on the skin where the elastic draws it together making folds in the materiel.

I found polyurethane laminate (PUL) covers were very durable, very comfortable, and through some type of voodoo magic, are breathable while waterproof. My only issue with PUL covers is that the fabric on the outside of the cover will wick urine in the event of a leak, causing pants and shirts to also absorb urine.

I also like the all-polyurethane (Euroflex) covers. They are also very durable, extremely thin and light, and somewhat breathable. They do not wick urine except the elastic will wick leaks.

When there is wicking of urine in the PUL covers or the elastic of the Euroflex covers, I can either change to a clean dry cover (preferred) or wait for the wicked moisture to dry, which can lead to odor, discomfort, and possible skin irritation.

Because I wear bilateral metal leg braces, changing into a fresh pull-on cover is a chore because I need to remove the braces and shoes, then pants. To make life easier I have switched to using snap on diaper covers (PUL or Euroflex) during the day allowing me to change covers and diapers without having to get undressed. I still use a pull-on at night to avoid issues with side sleeping leaks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:22 pm 

It's a bit of a misconception that diaper covers are there to contain a lot of actual fluid (i.e. urine). Will they do it, yes but just as you've seen only to a very limited amount, mostly due to the seals at the legs not being perfect. Their main use is actually to keep a damp cloth diaper away from your outer clothing. All of that said probably the best way to "fix" your problem is to use protection with a higher capacity.

In my case at night I use a thick cotton pad inside of a medium-to-high quality diaper. The cloth pad absorbs liquid very quickly and then slowly transfers it to the diaper. If a few drops get by here and there (which is super rare for me) my PUL diaper cover will handle the tiny amount of leakage. If for some reason I feel I need a bit more capacity I can always add an additional cotton pad.

Since I have some control during the day my pull-up and male guard pad combo works very well with no need for a diaper cover.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:03 am 

FredWinNY wrote:
There are often times when my diaper has reached capacity without my realizing it, so when I sit down, I have issues with press out causing a leak, or when I stand or walk, I leak around the leg openings. To help keep clothes, furniture, etc. clean and dry I have been using waterproof diaper covers.

I have tried a number of different types and brands. I found the thinner vinyl cover did not hold up long, as the materiel would soon rip around the legs, waist, or side seems. Heavier vinyl covers (7 or 8 mil) hold up better, but I found whether they had exposed elastic openings or enclosed elastic (to prevent wicking), the heavy vinyl is scratchy on the skin where the elastic draws it together making folds in the materiel.

I found polyurethane laminate (PUL) covers were very durable, very comfortable, and through some type of voodoo magic, are breathable while waterproof. My only issue with PUL covers is that the fabric on the outside of the cover will wick urine in the event of a leak, causing pants and shirts to also absorb urine.

I also like the all-polyurethane (Euroflex) covers. They are also very durable, extremely thin and light, and somewhat breathable. They do not wick urine except the elastic will wick leaks.

When there is wicking of urine in the PUL covers or the elastic of the Euroflex covers, I can either change to a clean dry cover (preferred) or wait for the wicked moisture to dry, which can lead to odor, discomfort, and possible skin irritation.

Because I wear bilateral metal leg braces, changing into a fresh pull-on cover is a chore because I need to remove the braces and shoes, then pants. To make life easier I have switched to using snap on diaper covers (PUL or Euroflex) during the day allowing me to change covers and diapers without having to get undressed. I still use a pull-on at night to avoid issues with side sleeping leaks.

Hi Fred!

First, THANK YOU for your service as a cop. I always make a point to thank law enforcement when I see them walk in our store at work(I'm a greeter at Meijer). I would like to suggest Ecoable adult cloth diapers, and their diaper covers. Do you prefer using disposables or cloth? Or have you tried cloth diapers yet? If you are thinking about trying cloth diapers, I HIGHLY recommend ecoable. Their products make managing incotnience easy, comfortable and even bring back a sense of style. You can find them at ecoable.net. They have snap on diaper covers.

Peace out!l

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:18 pm 

Thanks Rob, I have found a combination that works for my night time routine. I wear an inexpensive ( Walmart Assurance tape on) diaper covered by either a Velcro fastened cloth diaper or a terry cloth pull on diaper. Over the cloth diaper I wear a waterproof cover. This combination has never failed me. Most of the time the cloth diaper remains clean. During the day I have been using BetterDry Day diapers. I have been using them for about three months and so far I am very pleased with them. I can usually get by with just two a day, but I do push their limits of absorption because I try to squeeze every penny out of my premium diapers. Thats why the diaper covers are so important to me. If I squeeze too many pennies, I also squeeze out urine. Ha ha.

We don't have Meijer stores in my area, but I have had many professional encounters with your counter parts in local Walmarts and other large grocery and retail chains. Respect for your service as well.

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:17 pm 

FredWinNY wrote:
Thanks Rob, I have found a combination that works for my night time routine. I wear an inexpensive ( Walmart Assurance tape on) diaper covered by either a Velcro fastened cloth diaper or a terry cloth pull on diaper. Over the cloth diaper I wear a waterproof cover. This combination has never failed me. Most of the time the cloth diaper remains clean. During the day I have been using BetterDry Day diapers. I have been using them for about three months and so far I am very pleased with them. I can usually get by with just two a day, but I do push their limits of absorption because I try to squeeze every penny out of my premium diapers. Thats why the diaper covers are so important to me. If I squeeze too many pennies, I also squeeze out urine. Ha ha.

We don't have Meijer stores in my area, but I have had many professional encounters with your counter parts in local Walmarts and other large grocery and retail chains. Respect for your service as well.

Fred

Kudos for you for making Assurance work for you. I tend not to trust store brand diapers. Whether comfort or question about absorbency level, I tend to stick to brands I trust. Interesting night time setup.
Like you, I am a fan of Better Dry. I have only used Better Dry Day in samples, and have yet to invest in a case. I tend to stick with what I know, and I know and trust Better Dry very well. I also use Ecoable cloth diapers.
I have been using Medicaid-covered Attends from J and B medical for around the house change when wet, but the quality of product just fails to meet expectations. The tabs rip off. Most of the Medicaid diapers I don't necessarily have a problem with absorbency, because a) my episodes usually are small to moderate spurts and b)I tend to change once wet at home. But the problem I DO have is confort and quality of construction. If I have to use up severald diapers to tape one on, its just not worth my time.
I use Seni Super Plus around the house,depending on the day, or, again, Ecoable.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II