www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:34 pm 

Due to recent staffing cuts I will be traveling for business this year. It has been quite a while since I traveling on long business trip, and not since I switching over to cloth diapers. Because I depend heavily on cloth using disposable in emergencies only I am hoping to stick to my routine it works for me. Even with added travel costs I plan on packing my cloth diapers. Trips can last a week to two weeks straight, but I figure with hotel washer and dryer five days supply of cloth diapers will do and not be to bad to pack. Has anyone used cloth diapers when traveling? I feel very secure that my cloth diaper will get me through the airport, plane, and to my hotel without having to change big plus travel makes me nerves and I tend to wet more under stress. I will take some disposable for emergencies. Which bands are the best extended wear disposables for traveling? I do not have a lot of luck with the breathable style. I read about diaper services. Those that use diaper services do you believe they would be willing to work with someone staying short term in a hotel?
Questions about swimmer diapers advertised on line. What are peoples experinece with those? I know it will not keep all urine out to the pool water but will help reduce it. I enjoy relaxing in the pool ands hot tub after work while traveling so I do plan on using both at the hotel. This maybe a stupid question but I am not one who pays attention to others and what they are wearing unless it is far out there and they are trying to bring attention to themselves. When I speak with peoeple I look them in the face I do not scan their bodies. So with the swimmer diaper it is advertised as you can wear under shorts or just as is. I do not have an issue with as is that could be more because at home i am without pants a lot. Boating and at the local lake it is cool just as is. The swimmer diaper does sort of look like a diaper. What is the general opinion for those that use the swimmer diaper is it okay just as is? Thanks
Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:34 pm 

If your bladder incontinent and don't have a problem with number two the swim diaper isn't going to be that much help. Swim diapers are made for number two. Urine will run right through it in the pool., Myself I'm bladder incontinent if I'm going to go swimming I just wear a suit and go. Swim diaper isn't going to make a difference If your going to lounge pool side I would wear my normal diaper under a pair of baggie shorts. If your baggy shorts happen to be your swim trunks wear a disposable so you can go to the restroom pull it off throw it away if you want to dive in. There is a reason they have all that chlorine in the pool your pee isn't going to hurt anything. Granted I know it is a disgusting though swimming in others pee but well what are you going to do? Lets face it anytime you dive into a public pool it's a given some one has peed in it :( Which can really turn you off on swimming in a pool....................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 am 

I agree with Sandy. I think after a while you may want to go back to using a good quality disposable while your away from home. Two of the best extended wear diapers on the market are the Abri X-Plus, and Molicare Super Plus. I don't think you will find a diaper service for such a short term stay in your travels. If you use 4-5 cloth diapers per day, you may want to re-think this and just go with a disposable as mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:27 am 

I agree with Sandy. I think after a while you may want to go back to using a good quality disposable while your away from home. Two of the best extended wear diapers on the market are the Abri X-Plus, and Molicare Super Plus. I don't think you will find a diaper service for such a short term stay in your travels. If you use 4-5 cloth diapers per day, you may want to re-think this and just go with a disposable as mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 am 

I normally use disposables while traveling except when I know where I'm staying has a washer/dryer. My wife and I rent a Condo In Pensacola every fall and it has a washer, so I'm happy I get to take along my cloth diapers and plastic pants. Most hotels have a washer/dryer just like cruise ships have. If you have the time to wash and dry them, then by all means take cloth along!

Sandy is right about the swim diaper. I have a pair, but it's only usefull for me as I lounge around the pool and take a quick dip in the pool. Once you're in the pool, the swim diaper is going to soak up the pool water.

I would just be carefull wearing a cloth diaper with diaper pins going through security at the airport. The pins my set off the alarm and then you are there trying to explain your situation. :oops: I usually wear my normal disposable with a booster pad. I don't mind changing in the airport before I reach my hotel. Good Luck! ......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 am 

Thanks for all the feedback good advice. I have traveled a lot in the past and normally do use the hotel washer/dryer or go to a laundrmat. Traveling with business suits for two if one does not do laundry ends up packaging half their closet (lol). I actually find sitting and read while waiting on laundry quite relaxing. It may seem like a short stay (2 week) but actually by the time the weekend comes along the trip appears to be draging and I am ready for home. Cloth will help keep me in a more relaxed stated of mind hope I am explaining that right a comfort zone thing. I do believe you are right about forget chaseing down a service better spending time on something else. I had not thought about airport security. However part of my dealing is not being embarrassed if they should have to ask I will never see them again. I think security personell are professional and would handle should a thing respectfully and quietly. I have time to decide which way to go.
I am okay with bowl movements so that was not a concern. I am also not too concerned with keeping urine out of the pool I do know no system today would do that I was thinking more about lounge and going in and out of the pool. Didn't want to be caught having an accident poolside while just wearing shorts. Trust me I know what you are writting about Sandy with how unclean public pools are. I got my open water driving certification with most of the training in a pool to learn bearthing and scuba equipment. The things I saw floating around in the pool would make anyone think twice about using one(lol). In the long of it all since a kid I enjoy swimming. Again Thanks and Take Care
Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm 

I agreee with all who say pack the disposables. I wear cloth most of the time except when I travel. Travelling is a hassle in itself so I figure why have the added hassle of having to deal with soiled cloth diapers. I have not had good luck with disposables making it through the night but when travelling I make sure I wear a pair of cotton briefs over my disposable covered with a pair of plastic pants. This way if I do leak at night the leak is contained. If you are concerned about leaking onto the hotel bed just pack a plastic backed pad and put it on the bed. I tried travelling with my cloth diapers and it isn't undoable if you are only going to be gone a night or two but if you are going to be gone for longer then I'd leave the cloth diapers at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 am 

Thanks for the advice all is helpfully with lots to consider. I think I am going to try the cloth with disposable on hand just in case. Travel brings on stress and added stress over disposables failing at night or day is something I hope to avoid. Pads on beds do not work well for me because I move around alot at night. No matter how I end up laying in cloth I do not have leaks.
I thought about pins and airport security. I thought possible it might be a good time to invest in a pair or two of the pull-on style cloth diapers. Do anyone have experience with the pull-on cloth? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 am 

My experience with pull-on type diapers are they are fine for sleeping but they are not made for moving around. Pull-on diapers use elastic to keep them up. This is fine when they are dry but when wet they tend to sag due tot he added weight when they are wet. I'd suggest diapers with velcro hook fasteners or with buttons sewen on. I agree that pins are something you want to keep away from with airport security but you don't want to risk a really saggy diaper either. I set the metal dector off entering my county courthouse once. They let me pass as I had metal on my shoes I guess but it was the last time I visited the courhouse wearing a pin-on cloth diaper. I sat on a jury a couple years ago and wore disposables so I would not set off the metal detector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:50 am 

The trouble with pull-on diapers (cloth or disposable) while traveling is that you have to remove pants to remove the diaper - not really convient while traveling esp on a plane. If you know the diaper will last and worry about sag you can wear a onsie to help control it. Traveling is NEVER easy when you are diapered. Delays, carying diapers, etc. just add to the stress. The right choice of diaper (s) is always in question. Papa