www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:58 am 

There are now many disposable and washable product options. I would like to ask which one you would prefer? My understanding is that disposable products are relatively more convenient, washable ones are more breathable, but they don't absorb as much as the disposable ones. But washing will have less impact on the environment. I would like to know how you choose? What information do you look for when choosing, besides the need for absorbency? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 am 

In my case, it took me about a year of trying samples and bags of different products. Some of them were based upon various forum recommendations but of course recommendations are biased by what works for them. And then after you find your favourite go to products, they sometimes change or discontinue, which is very disturbing. So it doesn't hurt to keep a few backups in mind. I also find it helpful to spend time some days to just "re shop" different products as prices and availability are always in flux. Sometimes free shipping and limitations plays a big role in the pricing.

As far as the environment goes, I've seen convincing arguments both ways. The initial investment in cloth and the weekly/daily work of washing had me deciding in favour of disposables.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:55 am 

The environmental issue depends on whether the area you live in has a water shortage at any given place or time. If it does, reuse doesn't have the same environmental benefit it does otherwise because it requires a lot of water. If there isn't, reusing is definitely better for the environment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am 

I wear washables almost exclusively when I'm at home. I wear disposables when I travel or when, for other reasons, I do not have access to a handicapped restroom. Washables have so many advantages for me that they will always be my preferred choice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:49 am 

Wayne hit the nail on the proverbial head. You will need to experiment and determine what works for you. Our recommendations can help narrow your search but it will require effort and time on your behalf. I keep a chart of disposable diapers, their useable absorbencies, vendors and prices. I update it monthly to keep track of the best deals.

I have worn both cloth and disposables. I love cloth but it is not practical for me in the retirement community where I live. I would suggest that you purchase a single cloth diaper and try it out on a part-time basis. I am a heavy wetter and, at nights, wore a heavy cloth diaper with two cloth booster pads. :oops: Obviously one would not do that during daytime.

I always look for tall internal standing leak guards. They are a must for fecal incontinence but also help prevent urinary leaks.

Absorbency is important, but the most important factor is fit. Even the most expensive premium diaper can leak if it does not fit you well.

Good luck!

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:57 am 

Greetings

As others have said diaper choice is down to personal choice everyone is different. I have a range of diapers and diapers covers to suit my own needs take ages, hard work and experiment to find what works best but well worth it.

Lots of great options available.

In addition to my normal incontinence diary I kept a diaper diary during my selection phase this helped me a lot!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:56 pm 

You may also need several types of diapers depending on what you will be doing on a particular day. For example, you may be able to get by with a simple pad or pull-up while at home, but if you are going on a long car trip or to a sporting event with limited bathroom facilities you might need to wear a premium tape-up style diaper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:44 pm 

This has evolved over time for me. I've been dealing with urge urinary IC for nearly 12 years, and after the onset of prostate issues in the last year, intermittent leakage IC. When I first started having issues, I was wearing cloth diapers, as well as pads in fixing pants or underwear. As time has gone on, I have all but ditched the pads in favor of premium tape-on disposable diapers (with PUL covers) for longer trips away from home and "heavy days" at home. I wear cloth pocket diapers at night as well as on my "light days" at home.

In the early days, there wasn't nearly as much information online, and there weren't as many products to choose from. I did a lot of experimenting in the early days, buying disposable sample packs as well as single cloth diapers to try. It took a long time to find the mix of products that fit my body best, provide the needed absorbency/security, and are comfortable to wear.

I settled on the Snap-EZ pocket cloth diapers and the NorthShore MegaMax plastic-backed disposables. I wear a GaryWear PUL cover over the MegaMax. I use powder in my diapers, both for skin comfort and odor control. For the most part, I've settled on the Anti-Monkey Butt Baby Powder, though I will use Johnson's on occasion.

It was easier to find the best disposable diaper to meet my needs than it was to find the best cloth diaper.

There are a lot of great products out there, but a lot of "junk" as well. That applies to both disposable and reusable products.

Unfortunately, Snap-EZ has announced that they are closing down, but they did give customers the opportunity to place "final buys," so I decided to stock up on pocket diapers and inserts. I've already started the search for a replacement cloth product, as it took a long time for me to find and settle on the Snap-EZ.