www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Cups of Coffee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:55 pm 

I wanted a coffee this morning as it is Friday. I enjoyed it so much I had a second cup of coffee... My bladder is not enjoying it and at this point the time between "I have to pee" and "I am peeing" is basically gone. At least I enjoyed the coffee! Yes this has made work fun today and yes, I have had to change a few times already today. That's what I get for ignoring caffeine as a trigger. So anyone have anything they like to do when they just keep getting urgent needs to pee and peeing with no warning?

Post subject: Re: Two Cups of Coffee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:30 pm 

Although I have not identified a trigger, I have had two urinary sphincterotomies; the end result, for me, is similar. I leak continually, and experience painful bladder spasms, followed by occasionally forceful leakage. Being able to rely on my protection is a life saver. When my GI system goes on strike too, I need Nullo or Devrom to give me the time to seek out a place to wash and change. If coffee causes this for you, you have my sympathy. Having a site such as this where we can commiserate with others who must endure this challenge is a life saver.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm 

I know that caffeine is a trigger for me and also something with citrus juice in it. Unfortunately I really like to put a little lime or lemon juice in my once-a-day Coca-Cola which to me is kind of like most peoples "daily coffee". It definitely irritates my bladder a bit but unless I know it's going to be a day where I'll be mostly out of the house it's just worth it to me. I do have a coffee from time to time but that's usually decaf so I don't have a problem with that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:31 pm 

I do have to be careful with coffee WRT to liquids.

But mostly I avoid it now to help prevent IBS. If I am staying home for the morning, I'll indulge in a coffee but I not on days were I need to leave the safety of home. Rarely will I go for two coffees these days. 10+ years ago I used to be able to enjoy 6 cups/day. Those were the days!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am 

Hi All

Caffeine and Alcohol don’t help with incontinence for me I stick to water and the money I don’t spend I use on a better diaper etc.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 pm 

I generally have a painful bladder anyway. This is from a thickened bladder wall, Interstitial cystitis, and spasms. This is not helped by caffeine, but not made worse either. I know my body well and about 1-2 hrs after I wake up I will start having my urge incontinence issues. I will wear the most protection I can in the morning and plan my activities around being near a bathroom if I can. depending on my hydration levels I will have fewer floods in the later part of the afternoon and evening. The more coffee I drink the more dehydrated I get which makes me feel terrible. With my condition relentless chronic fatigue makes caffeine a must for functioning.

Do you have really thick diapers for times when you want to enjoy that coffee? I say what's the harm. It's important to enjoy small things like an extra cup of coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:20 pm 

I have never found a trigger myself but I do understand the I need to pee and I am peeing. I get that feeling in the morning when i wake up, either before I get up and after I get up sometimes. I have tried to make it to the toilet a few times but nope. One time I only made it the door of my bathroom before I was going.

Kinda stinks but a least I have protection on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:12 am 

Patrick wrote:
Although I have not identified a trigger, I have had two urinary sphincterotomies; the end result, for me, is similar. I leak continually, and experience painful bladder spasms, followed by occasionally forceful leakage. Being able to rely on my protection is a life saver. When my GI system goes on strike too, I need Nullo or Devrom to give me the time to seek out a place to wash and change. If coffee causes this for you, you have my sympathy. Having a site such as this where we can commiserate with others who must endure this challenge is a life saver.

I am sorry it is painful for you. I usually do not have pain with the urges more so that normal having to pee sensation. And I do not have GI incontinence.

And to everyone who is sorry I have to avoid caffeine, thank you. It is difficult and as I learned again recently I have to be careful about that or I basically just have no control of when I pee. At least I was in the good diapers then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:25 am 

I LOVE my coffee and it does tend to irritate my bladder but I don't see it as a huge contributing factor. I have not noticed an increase of episodes after having coffe vs not, although I'm sure its sometimes a factor. So is alcohol, but I don't drink. Still sober!!!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:37 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
I LOVE my coffee and it does tend to irritate my bladder but I don't see it as a huge contributing factor. I have not noticed an increase of episodes after having coffe vs not, although I'm sure its sometimes a factor. So is alcohol, but I don't drink. Still sober!!!

Coffee usually goes straight through me. And if I have a second cup of coffee... I forget that I basically get the urge to go every 20-30 minutes and have maybe a minute to get to a toilet. Or I just sit back and relax and remind myself that I have a good diaper on as the walk to the bathroom is usually 2-3 minutes and running hand between my legs to the toilet that much is not something I want people to see much.

Alcohol does the same, but that was before I had urge incontinence too.