www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-layer diapers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:50 am 

How many of you use what I call multi-layer diapers?

I managed to stop my night-time leaks (I'm a heavy wetter and a side-sleeper) by trying layering as part of my diaper "ensemble." On top of a premium diaper with booster pad, I wear a thin cotton pullup and a diaper cover. Over those plastic pants I wear a second, larger diaper cover whose leg elastics come further down my thighs than the first pair to catch any leakage.

The cotton pullup aborbs pee that leaked from the diaper and prevents it from pooling and then leaking. The second diaper cover contains any small leakage from the first one. Fortunately, this is uncommon :D but I hate waking up in a wet bed. :(

--John
(double incontinent)

Post subject: Re: Multi-layer diapers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 am 

Using cloth, I too layer. The outer diaper is birdseye; the inner diaper is gauze, and I sometimes include a ratty years old diaper, folded carefyully, under a polyurethane pant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 pm 

During the day I will add a Male Guard pad inside of a medium quality pull-up and change the pad as necessary, finally just doing away with the wet pad and just using the pull-up. If I know I will be out and about and not sure of the availability of a bathroom I will use the same pad inside of a premium pull-up. In very rare occasions I'll add a PUL pant over that.

At night I use a folded cotton cloth inside of a good quality tape-on diaper and then a Leakmaster PUL pant over that. With that combination I've only had a few drops ever get out of the diaper, and those were easily handled by the PUL pants. However, if I am in a situation that I absolutely can't afford ANY leakage I will add an additional folded cloth over the diaper and inside the PUL pant just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:59 pm 

My husband and I own a business and found ourselves away from our home unexpectedly due to a weather related equipment failure and VERY icy roads!
We spent last evening in a hotel without a change of clothing and me without enough diaper supplies for an overnight stay. Last evening, we stopped at a CVS and bought a bag of Attends tape on diapers and Tena pads, which certainly don’t compare to the Northshore disposable brands, not to mention my normal cloth diapers.
After supper, I took two hotel hand towels and folded them together into 1/3’s and placed them in the disposable for the night, making certain that the cloth was completely covered by the diaper, though I changed at about 2am when I woke due to a power failure at the hotel. Out of hand towels, I used an oversized bath towel, uniquely folded and pinned on under my plastic pants for the remainder of the night. This morning, I thoroughly rinsed the soiled towels for the maid service, who probably will wonder why the towels were saturated…
This morning, I inserted a Tena overnight pad inside the disposable, which seems to be okay so far, though I’ll likely change soon. I’ve used Tena pads before inside disposables without issues instead of a booster in a pinch. I also learned to -not- use a pad inside a pull-up as I leaked because the crotch area of the pull-up wasn’t wide enough for the pad and/or there’s no leak guards. Whatever the reason, I won’t do that again.
The repair work is stalled due to awaiting a parts hotshot delivery but it’s questionable if we can complete the work before this evening and the ice storm hasn’t slowed, leaving the roads treacherous. It looks like a 50/50 chance of extending our visit here.
I’m headed to Walmart soon for a few clothes and such, and a warmer jacket!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:23 pm 

Ellyn, congratulations on being so very adaptable in the face of adversity. Your innovation certainly was impressive.

Many thanks for sharing that with us.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:14 pm 

Add my respect for your impressive and creative solution. I sometimes leave my house for periods of an hour or more, and neglect to bring along my go bag. Your account underlines the foolishness of that mistake. Bravo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:02 pm 

Being stuck somewhere without any supplies seems like it would be a worst nightmare for everyone here. Sorry to hear about your troubles Ellyn. Hope all gets sorted out soon so you can get back home with all it's usual comforts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:56 am 

Ellyn wrote:
My husband and I own a business and found ourselves away from our home unexpectedly due to a weather related equipment failure and VERY icy roads!
We spent last evening in a hotel without a change of clothing and me without enough diaper supplies for an overnight stay. Last evening, we stopped at a CVS and bought a bag of Attends tape on diapers and Tena pads, which certainly don’t compare to the Northshore disposable brands, not to mention my normal cloth diapers.
After supper, I took two hotel hand towels and folded them together into 1/3’s and placed them in the disposable for the night, making certain that the cloth was completely covered by the diaper, though I changed at about 2am when I woke due to a power failure at the hotel. Out of hand towels, I used an oversized bath towel, uniquely folded and pinned on under my plastic pants for the remainder of the night. This morning, I thoroughly rinsed the soiled towels for the maid service, who probably will wonder why the towels were saturated…
This morning, I inserted a Tena overnight pad inside the disposable, which seems to be okay so far, though I’ll likely change soon. I’ve used Tena pads before inside disposables without issues instead of a booster in a pinch. I also learned to -not- use a pad inside a pull-up as I leaked because the crotch area of the pull-up wasn’t wide enough for the pad and/or there’s no leak guards. Whatever the reason, I won’t do that again.
The repair work is stalled due to awaiting a parts hotshot delivery but it’s questionable if we can complete the work before this evening and the ice storm hasn’t slowed, leaving the roads treacherous. It looks like a 50/50 chance of extending our visit here.
I’m headed to Walmart soon for a few clothes and such, and a warmer jacket!

Ellyn, did you make it home ok?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:13 pm 

Yes, we spent a total of two days away from home due to very icy roads and blocked by debris and downed power lines.
We spent a day at home, then off we went to our ranch in East Texas, where we had a power outage for 3-1/2 days due to the same icy conditions that wreaked havoc on power lines due to downed limbs and trees. Our neighbor had put a portable generator on our refrigerator and freezer after two days of outage so all of our food was fine.
We arrived here only to find limbs down EVERYWHERE! Fortunately none of the limbs hit our buildings. We started clean up yesterday and worked all day but several days of work remains.
Unfortunately, one of our neighbor’s horses apparently got hit by a large limb at the edge of one of our pastures (which he leases for cattle and horses). The remains are pretty picked over after only a few days…. It made me sick!
My husband left me here for a few days to manage our business so I’m left to do what I can to clean up. We have a truck that stays here so I’m not stranded. My plan is to use our tractor with a grapple (like a giant hand that grabs limbs on the front of the tractor) to try to pick up some limbs that we piled up and move them to our burn pile.
I keep a supply of cloth and disposable diapers here as well as brought a bag of MegaMax with me. I don’t intend of getting stuck without supplies again!
Right now, it’s raining, and has most of the night, so I might have a ‘me day’ today!