www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:19 am 

No, because that level of absorbency would be overkill for me.

The only time I needed more absorbency was when I wore a megamax on a 8+ hour car trip (their station stops did not coincide with my needs). I suppose if I had a longer trip of that nature, things would be different but I can't imagine myself patient enough for that kind of trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 am 

Wow...let's do a little math. 500 ml of fresh water at room temperature weighs about 1.1 lbs. So...

Trest 9,500 ml / 500 ml = 19 x 1.1 lbs = 20.9 lbs

Rearz Mega Safari 8,500 ml / 500 ml = 17 x 1.1 lbs = 18.7 lbs

MegaMax 6,500 ml / 500 ml = 13 x 1.1 lbs = 14.3 lbs

Even the MegaMax, at the low end, that's 14.3 lbs of liquid. You'd have to glue these diapers to your body to keep them from sliding off and wear a muumuu to conceal them, and even then, the plastic would likely stretch to the breaking point and they would hit the floor like a soggy bowling ball! Years ago I learned the hard way that even with a top premium diaper, the leg openings will stretch to the leaking point, leading to wet pants way before you reach the advertised capacity. I wear a premium diaper, one booster pad and plastic pants 24/7, and in the real world the best I can get is the equivalent of around four wettings, or about 1,500 ml to 2,000 ml before risking a wetting incident.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:25 am 

Schooner, I agree with all you have said. However, the useable capacity often can be generalized at around 30 to 35% of the ISO maximum absorbency. That brings the weight of the diaper as actually worn down to a more realistic level, but even then will put a lot of strain on the tapes if worn near the max of the useable capacity. That is the main reason why I always wear a onesie.

Of course, to wear a truely superabsorbent diaper long enough to reach its maximum useable capacity it is likely that urine odor will become noticeable to others.

I am a heavy wetter and, like you, wear a premium diaper with a booster pad and plastic pants. I will pad up "heavy" for long trips, but even then a diaper like the Trest would be overkill for me. So far the MegaMax has as much absorbency as I need.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:50 pm 

Nope. I change at every wetting because my skin will break down. It's unhealththy for me personally to be in a diaper that long.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:49 am 

Usable capacity at 30 to 35 percent of max does seem about right from my experience too. I try to be careful about skin issues as well. I typically change ever 4 hours or the equivalent of 4 voids, whichever comes first. Keeping the same diaper on for 12 hours, wet or dry, simply doesn’t work all that well and I find gets pretty uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:12 pm 

As a heavy wetter and bed-wetter I now look for the maximum capacity diaper too. Usually maximum capacity works but depending on the price I may buy them myself. The Sam's Club, member's mark work for me, as well as the depends men's works for me when Sam's does not have them in stock. I usually don't have to worry about how heavy a diaper is I sleep all the way through the night and wake up with whatever I wet with the night before.

Sometimes when I am with my cousins on my dad side for the family I must sit in my pull-up for longer the usual because must wait for the bathroom to be open or cannot get too the bathroom in time too change but that is it. The weight of the diaper may matter in that instance but that all depends on how much a wet in the night and that I never know.

May be something to look at sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:03 pm 

I'd love to find one that is comfortable and high capacity. Seems like there's always a trade off for me. If there was one that didn't leak here or dig into my skin there I'd buy them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:22 pm 

I ordered a bag of the Rearz Mega Inspire that Tarlton suggested in white. I have used most of them by now. They give me about 30% more usable capacity than the Betterdry that I usually wear when I leave the house. They are a bit bulkier when dry (especially in the back) but swell up less than the Betterdry when used. Comfort and dryness are comparable. On most days I don't need the capacity but I will wear these going forward when I do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:51 am 

HDT, thanks for the data and feedback. I believe the Mega Inspire has an ISO capacity of 8,500 ml. BetterDry is my go-to diaper. I would like to have a little more absorbency at night but the price of the Mega Inspire is a bit daunting.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:07 pm 

Quote:
They give me about 30% more usable capacity than the Betterdry that I usually wear when I leave the house. They are a bit bulkier when dry (especially in the back) but swell up less than the Betterdry when used. Comfort and dryness are comparable.

That's interesting. I use Betterdry at night, and sometimes during the day if needed. I would say that Betterdry + a booster pad sometimes is at it's limit and there are times when I get leaks. I can't use cloth diapers next to my skin so I have to wear disposables at night. (I have tried but I believe my meds make my urine acidic and my skin breaks down too easily. horrible rashes) The top sheet on all of these diapers is important. If I feel dry after wetting that's a good sign. Betterdry works well for me, Megamax is another one, but just not comfortable enough to sleep in. The more they absorb the more it stays off the skin. If the diaper is very saturated that's when I run the risk of rashes starting. I wouldn't mind additional absorbency so less time urine would be sitting on the skin.

The price and the design is a factor, but if it's an improvement on my health that would be something to consider wisely.