www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:27 am 

Recently several new "superabsorbent" diapers have reached the marketplace. Trest advertises 9,500 ml, the new Rearz Mega Safari has 8,500 ml, and some others have increased their absorbencies to 6,000 ml and beyond. Most of these may be little more than a PR stunt to attract attention. So far, they are marketed only to the ABDL fetish community.

Do you think there will be a mainstream market for such absorbent diapers? For comparison, the NorthShore Megamax advertises a 6,500 ml maximum absorbency and has been commercially successful.

If the new superabsorbent ABDL diapers were to be offered in a plain white shell via a mainstream vendor, would you buy them? Would they be well received by the general public?

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:16 am 

If they were affordable, and if the sizing was recognisable to anyone who had been wearing diapers for some time. Some manufacturers' idea of a 'large' now is barely bigger than what used to be called a medium.

Besides, even as Tena's Ultima claims 4-litre absorbency (similar to Abena's L4) at the large size, it isn't really much more absorbent than a maxi and still leaks at the second wetting. I remain sceptical of claims such as 12hr protection, except at night time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:57 am 

I would certainly buy a higher capacity product as I frequently find myself inconvenienced or limited by daytime capacity. The limitation is not rated absorbency but leakage. Sometimes, I extend the range of a Betterdry with a booster folded in half and tucked into front of the diaper only. I have found that when used the conventional way (booster between the legs and in front), leaks develop pretty much at the same time as without. Rather than a larger overall capacity, a daytime product with more front padding and less in the back would be the one to get excited about.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 pm 

When traveling on interstates with hours between rest stops, for me, the higher capacity my protection, the better. If AB/DL folks stimulate manufacturers to fill that need, and if a market develops with enough purchasers to justify the manufacturing them, hooray.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:38 pm 

I have found the Northshore Care MegaMax to be fantastic not only in absorbency, but the leg guards are much higher than others, too. Those recently save my bacon when I had a complete bowel blowout.
It seems to me that all the really high absorbency diapers I've seen got that way by increasing the SAP content. That means they swell up a very large amount in order to get that rated capacity, which makes them less than subtle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 pm 

I have been using the dinosaur rearz and have found for urge incontinence they are fantastic and can last up to 8 hours and 4-5 heavy voids that would overload almost anything else. I have never had a diaper that more often than not utilizes 3/4 of its capacity. They are not as conspicuous as you would think unless absolutely soaked. Under loose pants they aren’t noticeable or noisy. The odor control is excellent. If your voids are heavy and you fear wet pants or wet seepage out the back of your legs, then this truly helps.

I am heartened they are releasing an all white version, the inspire +. This is cheaper than megamax and far superior for my needs. I am grateful for them.

For comparisons
https://rearz.ca/mega-inspire-adult-diapers/
2.5 per brief no tax free shipping (medium)

https://www.northshorecare.com/adult-di ... yle-briefs
2.875 per brief pre tax (medium)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:30 am 

As I am a heavy wetter, a more absorbent diaper is attractive. One limitation of superabsorbent diapers that has been mentioned is the failure of the tapes to support the weight of the diaper when near its maximum absorbency. That is one of the reasons why I wear a onesie now with my premium diapers. With a superabsorbent diaper a onesie would be even more highly recommended. Of course, one also could reinforce the tapes with a small strip of duct (or Duck) tape.

WetDad mentions the all-SAP diapers swelling up so much as to be noticeable. I think he is correct and that may be almost unavoidable. However, a diaper with fluff pulp would bulge equally as much at capacity and also would be thicker when dry. As Tarlton mentions, loose pants help to conceal bulges. Of course, one of my favorite IC sayings is "It is better to Bulge than to Leak." :oops:

Patrick mentions the benefit of high capacity when traveling. For long interstate trips I diaper as I would at night and even add an extra layer over the diaper in case of leaks. When I go into a restaurant to eat my diaper bulge could be noticeable. With a superabsorbent diaper that probably would not be necessary.

The new Rearz Mega-Inspire that Tarlton mentions advertises a capacity of 8,500 ml. and is available with a plain white shell. That would seem to meet our requirements for a "mainstream" high-capacity diaper as it also claims having tall standing leak guards. This could become the rival to MegaMax if it finds a "mainstream" vendor. Thanks for the tip-off, Tarlton.

And as HDT mentions, the real issue is not absorbency per se but "leakage." If it leaks, it does not work, regardless of the claimed absorbency.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:59 am 

A diaper that wicks tends to prevent leaks better than high capacity diapers that swell in the front and leak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:19 pm 

I have been using the Seni Super Plus, which is not a super-diaper, just a moderate one. However, when I change, I often find the back side of it almost completely soaked. They don't cost near as much as the supers, but I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:42 pm 

I guess at the end of the day, it’s whatever works well for you. Despite the lack of wicking, I find these diapers actually move the wetness past the bottleneck of hourglass to the back end. I would always have press out leaks with megamax, dry24, betterdry by the time that happened. These do not have that pressoir problems and keep utilizing more space.

Each person’s incontinence will dictate their specific needs and what works. For some this would be overkill. Others would rather change more often so this is unnecessary. I just know that for my needs these have been a miracle. Adding a booster allows me to not have to worry for the 8-9 hours I might not be able reach the bathroom.

For my heavy, heavy voids, this works better than anything I have tried. I will be using the white version as soon as I finish the stock of the dumb looking Dinosaurs. The fact that it outperforms megamax for me AND is cheaper to boot really seals the deal for me.