www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laser TURP recovery
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:52 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the recovery period for a laser TURP. I have urge incontinence now for a couple years and had a TUIP last year that did not solve the issue. The blockage returned. What can I expect for the recovery post TURP?

Post subject: Re: Laser TURP recovery
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:58 pm 

My understanding is, you will be incontinent, or in your case might see a heighten issue with your current health issue of your bladder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm 

fenton wrote:
My understanding is, you will be incontinent, or in your case might see a heighten issue with your current health issue of your bladder.

I am hoping it makes it better but I have read it'll get worse before it gets better. Just wondering what the good recovery looks like for this procedure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:13 am 

rmg wrote:
fenton wrote:

I am hoping it makes it better but I have read it'll get worse before it gets better. Just wondering what the good recovery looks like for this procedure.

I had a similar procedure done in November of 2017 and my urologist told me it could take a long time to see results. Immediately following, I lost what little control I had left and spent the next 2 1/2 years in diapers 24/7. Eventually, I was able to jettison diapers - first during the day, then at night - though I feel this was a combination of the surgery, meds, and spinal therapy. This lasted for maybe 18-ish months before I started needing diapers for bed again. So far, I am still generally diaper-free during waking hours when I have quick and easy access to a restroom, though I need protection on long road trips and if I take an afternoon nap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:16 pm 

2.5 years of 24/7 incontinence and diapers sounds rough. The doc told me to expect at least a couple weeks of incontinence and then it will slowly improve. I am hoping that is correct. No matter what it needs to be done as I am bordering significant retention that could have long lasting effects. The night time diaper issues are easy to deal with as long as I can sleep. I am really hoping the daytime urge incontinence goes away. They said once everything is open and not blocked then they can consider other therapies such as Botox or interesting. They were afraid anything else right now could make it worse without everything being very open.

5bugles wrote:
rmg wrote:
fenton wrote:

I had a similar procedure done in November of 2017 and my urologist told me it could take a long time to see results. Immediately following, I lost what little control I had left and spent the next 2 1/2 years in diapers 24/7. Eventually, I was able to jettison diapers - first during the day, then at night - though I feel this was a combination of the surgery, meds, and spinal therapy. This lasted for maybe 18-ish months before I started needing diapers for bed again. So far, I am still generally diaper-free during waking hours when I have quick and easy access to a restroom, though I need protection on long road trips and if I take an afternoon nap.