www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 pm 

Hey, I'm going to Florida for spring break next saturday. I was wondering if anyone had any practical advice on dealing with the incontinence and diaper changes on the plane..i'm a tall guy..6'3.. and wondering how do i go about flying.. i find usually when i sit down, depending on the situation, I don't have an episode that requires changing, but that isn't always the case. Mom has already taken a bag of my diapers with her down to Florida, so i don't have to worry about sticking it in my suitcase. How to deal with hot weather in a diaper? Also, we are going to the Disney parks..since they get free passes cuz they work there..or at least my dad does. I gleaned information from another forum about the best possible places to change..namely the first aid station or the companion restrooms. I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience going to disney world and dealing with their incontience. I have a few ideas in mind already. Oh, and i will be wearing shorts and a t shirt.. not the best for concealment.. though they will be a size up. My main worry is that my shirt becomes untucked and the diaper peeks over my shorts. Any creative ideas on how to stay tucked? i wanna get onesies eventually, but not now..

And i will be wearing the attends breathable..that should help with air circulation. Would powedering help? i usually don't powder..

I probably will have a carry-on with diapers in it.. but i wouldnt be able to take my normal complement of rash cream..does anyone know if i could have a small tube of rash cream? how do i deal with TSA officials searching my bag? Under what circumstances would they do it? would they take the diapers out of the bag?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:19 am 

Not a problem. Wear an extended wear diaper and plastic pants on the plane. You can add a booster pad if you like, but I'm sure for the amount of time in the airport and/or on the plane an extended wear diaper and plastic pants will work without any problem.......be there and done that many of times before.

I would recommend you take a back pack with a change of clothes including a few diapers just in case you need to change. You probably will not need it, but its best to have an extra change with you....better safe than sorry. Security at the airport MAY look inside the back pack but will NOT remove the contents for public viewing.

While your at Disney World, you want to have your back pack accessble in case you need to change. Again, I would recommend the use of an extended wear diaper and plastic pants. I have found that a long pull over shirt that hangs down some works the best. You don't need a shirt that hangs down to you knees,...... but something that looks nice and hangs down a little that will not show bulk if your wearing a booster pad in the diaper. I wear this type of shirt most the time and find it to be very comfortable plus its a good way to conceal any bulk you might have for reasons mentioned. Additionally, this type of shirt also conceals the diaper from the back so you don't have to worry about having an untucked shirt with a diaper showing while wearing shorts. I live in AZ so I know these things.....trust me!

Have fun! :D :D :D :D

Last edited by johnstone on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:36 am 

John is right on the money here. Put on the thickest diaper you have... and use boosters if you need them. Changing while on the plane isn't very fun... but you should be able to change in the airport restrooms easy enough.

As far as theme parks go... just make sure to keep a change handy, and don't worry so much about people seeing your diapers. Odds are you will never see any of those people again in your life... so what's the big deal?

Besides, at those parks you definately won't be the only person who is there in diapers. Kids and adults young and old wear protection to theme parks... I've actually read a few travel guides that reccomend it, especially at Disney because the lines for both the rides and the restrooms are so very long. Nothing worse than being halfway through an hour wait for a ride/show and realising that you have to go RIGHT NOW when there is a half hour wait at the nearest restroom too. So bring diapers in a bag or something... and if anyone does happen to notice just smile innocently and be on your way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 am 

I do not know about airports or airplanes, but I have lived in Florida for years. I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants all of the time and have never had any problems. Loose fitting trousers and a loose fitting shirt or t-shirt worn outside the trousers is a very common way of dressing. So don't worry about your diapers and enjoy your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 pm 

I am somewhat of an airport expert. I have logged over a million miles with two different airlines.

When I arrive at the airport, I use a family restroom BEFORE I check in and get boarding passes. I'll change my diaper in there - usually into a X-Plus diaper. It's at this point where I'll apply any rash creams or the like. Once I'm finished, I place all of my liquids, gels or creams into my checked luggage and do without them until I arrive. I always keep about two diapers with me in the carryon bag. Then check in to the flight, check my luggage, and pass through security.
My bags rarely get searched - especially since there are no powders or creams in them. Dry diapers are of no threat to anyone's security! After all, they are just paper and some plastic. No big deal! Even the times where my bags are searched, the TSA has never removed my diapers out of them in plain sight. Different story in Europe though. They removed the entire contents - diapers and all. Good thing it was a private room!

Good luck and have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:57 pm 

Thanks for the input..hmm..while an extended wear diaper would undoubtedly be useful.. its a matter of access to one. Molicare, abena, or dry 24/7 would cost money.. It's one of the accesories i discussed with my mom about getting should the need for diapers become permanent. Since we are still waiting on treatment.. she has not yet agreed or conceeded to these items.. and i don't have a lot of money right now.. A case of one of these high quality diapers could easily drain my bank account.

Right now, i have access to Tena Ultra and Attends Breathable. And, i have enough boosters to supplly a small army.. Right now the "thickest diaper i have" is probably either a tena or attends with a booster pad.. would doubling the diaper be practical? I definetly plan to boost, thats for sure..

this is certianly not the first time ive flown, that's for sure.. ill make it work.

I am getting excited just thinking abut it.. heres to hoping i get thru it with no major embarassments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:22 pm 

If possable, I would recommend you purchase a bag, not a case of extend wear diapers for the trip. If all else, go the the Attends you have with a booster pad. I'm sure that will work, but you may need to change more often then if you wer using an extended wear diaper.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:27 pm 

Johnstone, thats a great idea.. except that a package of those would take up sizable room in my suitcase..id need 2 to accomodate them. No, i think for this trip, i will just boost, and hope for the best. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am 

You mentioned wearing doubled attends or molicare on the plane. That should work but be sure that you make some slits in the plastic backing of the inner diaper so that the outer diaper can help absorb moisture. Be sure to wear plastic pants over the diapers to help avoid any leaks. Have fun on your trip and be careful while in Daytona Beach as some of the parties can get a little wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 pm 

Thanks for the advice everybody, I'm back now.. trip went off without a hitch as far as incon management goes..i used less diapers then i thought i did.. and i discovered some of the handicap stalls in the regular restrooms had their own garbage can which saves me from having to use the companion restroom.. i will say this though.. i did have one hitch..i left my cellphone in the bathroom while changning.. :-( never got it back..but that has nothing to do with incon managament.. but other than that..everything went beautifally..
We also went to Kennedy Space Center, something i havent done since i was 13.. yee hah! Losing my cellphone was the only damper we had..anyway, im back at home safe sans cellphone.. with diapers to spare. I didn't stow my backpack in the locker in the park after all..it was light enough to carry everywheer with me.. anyway.. i had a lot of supplies with me i didnt need, but thats ok..better to have it an not need it, than to need it and not have it. I actually avodied episodes on the airplane..as expected, most episodes occured while standing.. anyway, though id give yall an update..i had FUN!! it was exactly what i needed!