www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:56 am 

I posted this in a different forum but thought our answers here might be interesting.

Are your diaper covers plastic "pants" or "panties?"

In discussing diaper covers, your answer predictably may depend on your gender, with males typically answering “pants” and females answering “panties.” However, we are talking about the same pair of diaper covers that normally are advertised as being “unisex.” Don’t they have to be one or the other?

In discussing rubber pants, Wikipedia says “Lacking a fly front, the traditional variant is a true panty.”

Can that be our answer? Regardless of the gender of the wearer, lacking a fly, diaper covers should be classified as “panties.”

What do you say about this? Are you guys wearing “panties? :oops: ” What would your wives or girlfriends say about that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:37 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
I posted this in a different forum but thought our answers here might be interesting.

Are your diaper covers plastic "pants" or "panties?"

In discussing diaper covers, your answer predictably may depend on your gender, with males typically answering “pants” and females answering “panties.” However, we are talking about the same pair of diaper covers that normally are advertised as being “unisex.” Don’t they have to be one or the other?

In discussing rubber pants, Wikipedia says “Lacking a fly front, the traditional variant is a true panty.”

Can that be our answer? Regardless of the gender of the wearer, lacking a fly, diaper covers should be classified as “panties.”

What do you say about this? Are you guys wearing “panties? :oops: ” What would your wives or girlfriends say about that?

Definitely not; panties are an American term for what we call knickers over here. Strictly for women.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:20 pm 

Plastic Pants or (sometimes) Diaper Covers is what I call them. At least in US terms I, and I think most here in the US, consider "panties" to be a generally light weight under garment for women.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:27 pm 

I once had a coach that told me not to get my panties in a wad.... Not sure what he'd call them, but i'm sure it'd get me fired up.

Sorry I didn't have anything logical to add. Just felt like typing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:36 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
... Are your diaper covers plastic "pants" or "panties?"

Hahaha ... great topic!

After some asking around with folks in "the industry", I've been told "yes, flyless fronts are panties". If there is a fly it is a pant. Those are the technical's that I've been informed of.

Now, from a "cultural" perspective, I have a hard time calling diaper covers "panties" since I associate that with female underwear (and I'm a male). So for me, I just say I have a "cover" on. As for my forever joking wife, she just wants me to stay dry and leak-free! She doesn't care what they are called as long as I don't leave spots behind :lol: !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:09 am 

To me, I have always called them "plastic pants". Now, probably for me, the reason is not so much how they are made or even the gender of the person using them but more of the the intention of the user. Let me explain, from my experiences, those that wear for fetish reasons tend to call them "panties". When I hear someone refer to them that way, it puts up a red flag in my mind about that person. More or less, the term plastic panties is a tell that the person may be ABDL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:51 pm 

As a guy, I just prefer "pants". It's less feminine sounding. However, I don't mind the ABDL crowd, they seem to have a lot of discretionary income to drop on different diapers, pants, and related items. I can read their reviews and get useful information about fit, wear and pricing. I don't care how baby-ish they look, so that crap doesn't bother me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 pm 

Hi All

Like with Rope living in the UK to me they are simply “Plastic Pants”.

I sometimes refer to them as a “Diaper Cover” if addressing a US audience.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:33 am 

Greenbank, you are so politically correct when talking to us"Yanks." :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:52 pm 

Definitive wiki word?

Plastic pants (also known as Waterproof Pants, Plastic Panties, Diaper Dover's, Nappy Covers, Waterproofs, Dry Joggers, Nappy Wraps, Wraps, or Pilchers) are devices worn over a diaper with the purpose of containing liquid or solid waste that could leak through the fabric. They are waterproof with a plastic feel, rather than the soft napkin feel. Today, plastic pants are usually made out of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polyurethane (PU).
-or-
Rubber pants or rubber panties were the predecessor to plastic pants and served the purpose of a diaper cover, replacing the woolen garment. However, "rubber pants" is still a generic term for any pull-on or snap-on protective garment.
Lacking a fly front, the traditional variant is a true panty. As an infants' garment they had fallen out of favor in the 1950s, but were still the primary adult incontinence protective garment and in that role were called "rubber bloomers".

A rose by any other name........ (-;