www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today Has Been Fun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:55 pm 

My bladder has been acting up a lot more than usual today. I usually have a spare diaper on me in case I have to change but I havent used it in a while. Today though, I have already had to change and had another accident after changing. This is accident 5 for today (usually I only have 1-2). I guess I did something my bladder is not happy with, or it is the stress at work. I am not sure. What I do know is I am going to be near a toilet tonight.

Post subject: Re: Today Has Been Fun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:30 pm 

I am going to be tested again, soon. My daughter wants me to attend a hockey game, which should be fun and I do want to go.

I don't worry much about urinary IC much anymore, as that is simple enough for me to manage. What I worry about more is the potential IBS-d. So I asked her to let me know the date of the event before the day of the event, TBD. I have to avoid coffee on days away from home, just to be safe. I can get away with one coffee at home because the toilet is nearby. For the game, I will have to plastic-backed diaper up and wear plastic pants in case something bad happens. Unlike yourself, I haven't been in the habit of bringing emergency change supplies, but I probably should this time.

My fear is that my luck is going to run out someday. I keep hearing the words of dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky punk?"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:45 pm 

Please, please make taking along a well-stocked diaper bag habitual for you. Keep it handy, and keep alert to the locations of handicapped restrooms at all times, wherever you go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:38 pm 

Well I was at work today so the issue of needing to be changed was not too much of an issue. But after my 6th accident today... I think I am going to wear over night. At least I am just peeing my "pants" and do not have bowel incontinence. But I dont think I can trust my bladder today though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 am 

Kathryn93 wrote:
My bladder has been acting up a lot more than usual today. I usually have a spare diaper on me in case I have to change but I havent used it in a while. Today though, I have already had to change and had another accident after changing. This is accident 5 for today (usually I only have 1-2). I guess I did something my bladder is not happy with, or it is the stress at work. I am not sure. What I do know is I am going to be near a toilet tonight.

Your incontinence sounds a lot like mine. On average I have maybe one episode a day, sometimes none, and then there are nights like last night and the night before where I have big gushes, or several small wettings. I just pad up and roll with the punches.. what else can you do? For these heavier days I HIGHLY recommend looking into a premium diaper such as Abena, Better Dry, UnderX or Medline Extended wear. Yes, you may think your issues are not that severe. Buit if you are in a situation wehre you can't change as often, and expect to wet the diaper multiple times, they are a lifesaver. Or, you could do what I do currently and wear cloth. I use Ecoable's fitted and pocket diapers, and just now discovered the comforts of diapering on the heavy side. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, or reply to this thread :)

Peace out!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:30 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
Kathryn93 wrote:

Your incontinence sounds a lot like mine. On average I have maybe one episode a day, sometimes none, and then there are nights like last night and the night before where I have big gushes, or several small wettings. I just pad up and roll with the punches.. what else can you do? For these heavier days I HIGHLY recommend looking into a premium diaper such as Abena, Better Dry, UnderX or Medline Extended wear. Yes, you may think your issues are not that severe. Buit if you are in a situation wehre you can't change as often, and expect to wet the diaper multiple times, they are a lifesaver. Or, you could do what I do currently and wear cloth. I use Ecoable's fitted and pocket diapers, and just now discovered the comforts of diapering on the heavy side. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, or reply to this thread :)

Peace out!

So I usually only have one or two accidents a day depending on how far I am from a bathroom and they are usually basically full bladder. I switched to Nrothshore (the person there told me about online incontinence forums) about 2 months ago and I have had a much better time not soaking my pants every time I have an accident. Is there any pro of cloth diapers over disposable aside from the trash generation?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:05 pm 

Kathryn93 wrote:
... So I usually only have one or two accidents a day depending on how far I am from a bathroom and they are usually basically full bladder. I switched to Nrothshore (the person there told me about online incontinence forums) about 2 months ago and I have had a much better time not soaking my pants every time I have an accident. Is there any pro of cloth diapers over disposable aside from the trash generation?

That ever present question of cloth vs disposable. The answers seem to be different for everyone! For myself, cloth is less expensive in the long run; but there was a learning curve. In the end, I use cloth at home or when out on short trips (less than a few hours). Anything more than that then it's disposable for me (just because of the convenience and no fear of "sit-down press out").

Of course there are others who are more experienced than I.

ILuvLA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:30 pm 

Laundry can be an issue, and storing soiled diapers while awaiting enough to fill a washer load can be smelly. The initial cost can deter some folks, even if the long-term costs make cloth cheaper. A full on bowel release is easier to clean up with a disposable, which can simply be thrown away. A cloth diaper can be unfastened and refastened as often as necessary to get a good fit; disposables are much less flexible. Washables must be laundered in the hotest water available, and may need to be laundered with Clorox or another disinfectant from time to time. Washables may need to be stripped one or more times each year, which can be a laborious task. Beginning to use washables does require a learning curve; however, for folks who understand that they may never regain control, and who are willing to do the work, washables are more comfortable, more flexible, and more absorbent than the most expensive disposables available today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:01 am 

Patrick....Good all around points. I am primarily a cloth user. Use disposables sometimes during the day and in emergencies they are useful. Over the years I've sorted out the care issues.. Hot water and occasional "stripping" are part of the routine. Occasionally I have to keep a diaper pail. I mix a half gallon of water with a little lemon pine sol for odor control. Works great. Drying is another issue. A day or two's worth of diapers take a good while in my dryer, increasing the maintenance cost. Luckily, except for wet winters, I can line dry. Good thing cause dryers wear out diapers faster than just washing.
I was without power during recent storms here. Bummer if I need to wash. Had to revert to disposables 24/7 for a few days. Had night leaks and wound up with a minor rash. Power is back and rash is quickly healing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 am 

Kathryn93 wrote:
sociologygeek wrote:
Kathryn93 wrote:

Peace out!

So I usually only have one or two accidents a day depending on how far I am from a bathroom and they are usually basically full bladder. I switched to Nrothshore (the person there told me about online incontinence forums) about 2 months ago and I have had a much better time not soaking my pants every time I have an accident. Is there any pro of cloth diapers over disposable aside from the trash generation?

The advantanges of cloth over disposable vary quite a bit depending on what type of cloth diapers you use. If you are used to disposables, and suddenly start using traditional pin on diapers, then it will be quite an adjustment. If you are used to using hte toilet, then you will find traditional cloth less than desiriable, since it is very difficult to remove the diaper to use the toilet and then go back and regain its shape. Also, pinning can be a challenge. I could never get pins to work reliably; I used Snappis instead. But ultimately, traditional cloth is less convinent. If on the other hand you use a fitted diaper, one that has a stay dry liner and a snap or velcro closure, the advantages are many. If you happen to have a lighter day and end up not using the diaper, then you don't have to throw it away. You can simply put it in your normal wash. You never have to worry about a cloth diaper clumping up or the padding sagging. You never have to worry about ripping a tape off. If you use a fitted diaper with a diaper cover, the diaper cover can be used multiple times (just rinse out) before needing to be washed unless it has been soiled with poop. Finally, you can customize how absorbent a cloth diaper is by adding layers until you have the perfect amount. With a disposable, the only way to boost its capacity is with booster pads. They do help, but there is only so many booster pads you can add to a diaper before its leak prone because the thickness of the pad interferes with the the leg gatehrs and standing leak guards from making a good seal at the legs and thus keeping in fluid. In contrast, a cloth diaper can be very easily layerd with multiple layers. If you don't mind having a thick crotch, then there is nothing keeping you from layering heavily and having absorbency a disposable cannot match. But be careful! Traditional cloth diapers do NOT have stay dry liners. When you wet them you will feel wet. So, if you have sensitive skin, using cloth diapers that have a stay dry liner are a must. I LOVE Ecoable's fitted diapers.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II