www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are they "Pampers?"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:19 am 

RC-UK wrote:
I cringe when I hear someone call them depends. I see it as giving free advertising to the worst brand available.

Me had to laugh at this, as me totally 1000000000% agree!
Me always call them diapers, though have called them pampers at times.

Hello, my name is Scott, and physically, I am 46 years old. However, thanks to abuse, and being special needs, mentally and emotionally, I am equal to about 6-10 years old. I'm autistic, deal with double incontinence, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:54 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
A good friend of mine, who also is IC, jokingly refers to his diapers as "Pampers." When I asked why, he explained that his elderly mother, who knows he wears diapers, always calls them "Pampers." This is because Pampers was the brand of diapers she used on him when he was an infant and that is the term that comes to her mind when she thinks of diapers. :roll: So, at some time in the future, will similar moms probably will call diapers "Depends?"

So, between the two of us, we both now refer to our diapers as "Pampers." :D

What about you guys (and gals)? Do you have any older relatives with similar choices of words?

--John
(double incontinent)

Hi everyone,
Here in Spain something similar occurs, the biggest baby’s diapers brand is called Dodot and its diapers were “dodotis” so a lot of people calls them dodotis, even adults dodotis. And this I’ve heard it even in medical environments so it’s quite extended. In fact dodotis continues to be the biggest youth diapers brand so I believe it will continue for some years yet.
Merry Christmas to everyone!,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:15 pm 

When talking to my wife or doctor I will call them diapers. She calls them "protection", while my doctor will refer to them as "supplies" or "briefs".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:32 pm 

WetDad wrote:
When talking to my wife or doctor I will call them diapers. She calls them "protection", while my doctor will refer to them as "supplies" or "briefs".

Protection is used also here, but most in medical environment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:46 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
A good friend of mine, who also is IC, jokingly refers to his diapers as "Pampers." When I asked why, he explained that his elderly mother, who knows he wears diapers, always calls them "Pampers." This is because Pampers was the brand of diapers she used on him when he was an infant and that is the term that comes to her mind when she thinks of diapers. :roll: So, at some time in the future, will similar moms probably will call diapers "Depends?"

So, between the two of us, we both now refer to our diapers as "Pampers." :D

What about you guys (and gals)? Do you have any older relatives with similar choices of words?

--John
(double incontinent)

That’s pretty funny cause my mother in law refers to any diapers as Pampers too. She grew up in a Spanish speaking country and idk if it’s just from when she was learning English that “Pampers” stuck with her more than the word “diaper”.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:31 pm 

When I 1st became incontinent over 10 years ago, I was using the term diaper, or Depends because that is actually what they were labeled as on the packages. I do agree now with one other person on here about not using the name Depends because they are only good for light needs.

In our house we call any type or version of a diaper or pad as simply 'protection'. My wife prefers to say 'do you have your protection?' and that term works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:35 pm 

nw47guy wrote:
When I 1st became incontinent over 10 years ago, I was using the term diaper, or Depends because that is actually what they were labeled as on the packages. I do agree now with one other person on here about not using the name Depends because they are only good for light needs.

In our house we call any type or version of a diaper or pad as simply 'protection'. My wife prefers to say 'do you have your protection?' and that term works for me.

My wife usually refers to them as protection too or just a general “why don’t you get ready for bed”. She sometimes uses “diapers” but she seems hesitant to I think cause she feels like I’m sensitive to that which personally I’m not as i refer to them as diapers myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:40 pm 

Agree...an interesting post! I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that way. While they (cloth and disposable) are all "diapers" to me, I often refer to my disposables as "pampers." I guess it's easier to say than "protective briefs," "premium protection with tabs," and whatever else folks call them just to avoid the term "diaper."

As a child in the 1970s, I wore pin-on cloth diapers and vinyl pants at home and Pampers-brand disposables on the road.

In the same way folks use a trade name to refer to a product (examples: "Kleenex" for "facial tissue," "Bayer" or "Aspirin" for "acetylsalicylic acid" (the generic pharmaceutical name), or "Band-Aid" for "bandage,") folks do use the term "Pampers" for diapers. I don't find it demeaning or insulting at all.

Personally, I hate it when folks refer to adult disposable diapers as "Depends" or "Attends," unless they're specifically referencing those brands of products. Sounds too much like something used in assisted living, nursing, and memory care facilities, places I hope to never end up (after my late dad had a very bad experience in a nursing home during rehab after a hospital stay).

With respect to my medical providers, about half of them call them "Depends" and the others seem to be evenly split between "briefs" and "diapers."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:01 pm 

MikePNW wrote:
With respect to my medical providers, about half of them call them "Depends" and the others seem to be evenly split between "briefs" and "diapers."
In the past (and probably still), my wife asked me not to call my protection "diapers". Her reason was that she associates that term with dirty smelly changes (after raising our three children).

She has a point, but in my mind, they are all still "diapers".