www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pads instead of boosters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:11 pm 

I'd like to hear people's opinions about this.
I am looking to save money.
I've tried using pads in my diapers so that I can change the pads if needed. I can feel dry and the diaper is there for a large void.
I know that boosters are designed to increase a diaper's absorbency but I like the pads because they are cheaper and I can change them out more frequently and feel dry.
Have other people done this with success?
Or more importantly, what are some of the problems of doing this.

thanks
Diane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:21 am 

I do this all the time by putting a Male Guard pad into a inexpensive pull-up. I can often use the toilet normally but I also have some leaks I can't control. As the pad gets soaked, which is usually once in about 8 hours, I simply remove it and just use the pull-up for the rest of the day. I usually keep an extra pad in a pocket in case I have an early flood and feel the pull-up will not be enough for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:53 pm 

Good for you guys. :D You experimented and found something that works very well for you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:46 pm 

I think I'm confused here:

What is the difference between pads and boosters?

I do add boosters to a diaper often for the reasons others give and it works well for me.

I'm just confused over the terms. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:21 pm 

Hi All

From experience you have to be so very careful doing this even if the insert pad takes the load the diaper will still have absorbed moisture from urine vapour but more importantly sweat and this can cause issues such as rash, infections and the like.

If you do go down this route it is possible but hygiene is so so important especially the examination of the diaper the slightest moisture is not worth the risk of not changing.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:22 pm 

john1050 wrote:
I think I'm confused here:

What is the difference between pads and boosters?

I do add boosters to a diaper often for the reasons others give and it works well for me.

I'm just confused over the terms. Thanks.

Generally speaking "Pads and Male Guards" are relatively small absorbent items that have a backing sheet that does not allow the urine to flow through them. "Boosters" are also absorbent pad-like items but these do not have the solid backing sheet and they allow urine to flow completely through them (especially once soaked) and into what ever garment is holding them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:58 pm 

I started off with boosters and found them expensive. They did work, but if I was out and about, I found that a booster, which flows through and absorbs at the same time, allowed the brief to become wet as well.
For me, the booster would extend the use of the brief, but the flow through wasn't the best solution for me.
I found that I could use a pad inside the brief and if the pad became saturated, I could simply remove it in a rest room, replace it with another pad and be on my way. The brief is there to provide extra protection as well as a waterproof barrier, which is a good piece of mind for me. So yes to pads for daytime. Boosters at night.