www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am 

Well what ya going to do :?: I'm sure not going to display a diaper for all to see. But at the same time if they want to give me the third degree BRING ON THE COPS and my lawyer :x Who knows maybe I'll own that store when it's over :lol: ...............Sandy :)

Post subject: Store restrooms
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 am 

I too must sometimes change in a public restroom. I just walk in with my bag and take care of business. Having worked in retail security and law enforcement, I am fully aware of my rights as well as the circumstances required for store employees to legally detain someone. I have to agree with Sandy, bring the cops. I will see the matter through in court.

Post subject: Re: Store bathrooms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:56 pm 

jgrover wrote:
How do guys deal with store bathrooms and employees confronting you about shoplifting? I have had numerous instances where employees close to the bathrooms (they usually place the bathrooms right by customer service or dressing rooms) have said stuff like "no merchandise is allowed in the restroom" and "you can't take stuff into the bathroom". I have even had one instance where I was confronted after leaving the bathroom by two muscle men and the store manager asking me where I hid the merchandise. I usually say it is for a medical condition and that satisfies 95% of people. But for the last 5% I have had to show them the brief before they allowed me into the bathroom. In the store where I was confronted after the leaving the bathroom I had to go to the manager's office and pull my pants off before the guy would believe me. Of course these 5% of assholes apologized but it is still demeaning. Woman have it much easier since nobody questions them on bringing stuff into the bathroom. I typically use mini-garbage bags (dogie cleanups) or supermarket bags to bring the spare brief into the bathroom. Anybody have better ideas?

I've had to use the store restrooms before to change because it was just easier than going home. I don't normally carry my backpack/diaper bag with me into the store though. If I have a problem, I'll go back out ot my car and get it, and walk back inside to the restrooms and go ahead and change.
I've never been asked by any employee what I was doing, although I'm sure some of them were watching me closely to make sure I didn't stash something into my pack on the way there. I've never stolen from any store and never would, but I realize that there are those that do, and the stores must protect against it.
If I ever were asked, I agree with Paul on this, just throw the ADA out there in front of them and see what they do then. I don't want the public embarrassment either, but if somebody is stupid enough to force the issue, then I'm stubborn enough to fight back. I'm on disability and have been for 6 1/2 years now, and I can tell you that it doesn't pay much. If the store wants to add to my income, I say bring it on baby!!! LOL!!
Just wishful thinking there I think. But honestly, if somebody confronts you to the point that you have to strip to show them, then they are indeed in violation of your rights, and I would definitely do something about it, embarrassing or not, that will pass, but if you don't stop it then, it will only continue on later for you and anyone else in our position if you or we return to that store. And once the word gets out to the business community about it, there won't be another instance of it. They will make sure their employees know not to bother a customer just trying to go to the restroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 am 

On this note.. i do have an advantage as a college student. At college, virtually EVERYBODY carries a backpack..and no one would look twice at a student carrying one into the bathroom..after all, who wants to leave their stuff unattended if there's something important in there? So, naturally i dont feel any hesitation at all whilist on campus taking my backpack to the bathroom and taking care of business. But, the past year, i did all my on-campus diaper changes in the basement of the arts center.. I am still figuring out how to deal with changes and whatnot while working..fortunately.. an episode requiring immediate changing has not happened while working.. i know as soon as i can afford to.. a case of abena will be a welcome purchase..

How DO you carry spare diaper changes discreetly without raisning suspicion of shopliting while at stores? One idea that MAY work depending on the size and style of the diaper used is wear cargo pants and stick them in the pocket. I have done this with my tena ultas on one occasion.. it may work better with other diapers.. www.continenceconnection.com carries a product known as the "Leg Luggah" It is designed to strap onto one's leg and hold ostomy bags, catheters and the like, but, it iis a bigtsmall to carry full size adult diapers.

This is where extended wear comes into play. But, this situation is especially difficult for those who deal with bowel incontinence, since obviously extended wear is NOT an option for those folks. A soiled diaper needs to be changed ASAP.

But, again, i digress. Perhaps one could design an adult onesie with an extra wide pocket in the front or back large enough to hold an adult brief.

This is when those in wheelchairs have a descisive edge over those of us who are mobile..no one looks twice at a wheelchair user carrying a backpack on the back of their chair..but then again..most people in wheelchairs are "assumed" to be incontient and needing diapers and such..so most people don't think otherwise. Which is a fair assumption..but may not be 100% accurate.

I know this much..if i have to live with incontinence long term, i have to come up with a definte concrete way with dealing with carrying extra supplies with me. 3 times i have been asked why im carrying a backpack around. At college, its no big deal. But when at home or going to a party.. it gets awkward. So, i think anyone who desiges a clever way to hide incontinece products on one's person would make a lot of money..like the leg luggah.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:11 pm 

I've never gave it any thought how I would react if I were stopped by security at a store but it does raise some interesting thought. I cannot remember the last time I have ever used a store restroom but if I did & was confronted by security I guess I'd have no choice but to tell him of my condition. I really don't want the police called if I refused because now I'd have to prove myself in front of even more people. I am sure that they would feel as foolish as me after the evidence turned out to be a diaper and not a flat screen tv. I think I would probably play it up a little though. Hopefully I would have the last laugh.