www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to this forum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:05 pm 

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum. Like everyone else here I am incontinent. I lost bladder control back in 1998 as a result of lower back injuries suffered in a car/semi accident. I've been through all the medical proceedures and I've experimented with several methods of dealing with my incontinence. I'm not sure that I can add anything to this forum except that I can relate to others that post on this forum.

Surgery on my lower back is not an option. My doctors won't touch my back as long as I have mobility without pain. I am a very active individual and most of the time I don't experience any pain. The lack of severe pain could have something to do with the fact that I have considerable numbness in areas of my lower body. The numbness is part of why I am not able to always tell when my bladder needs to be emptied or why I seldom wake up at night when my bladder is full.

I really struggled with all of this the first few years. I felt so very angry and totally helpless. I had suffered with enuresis as a child/teen and it felt as if my worst nightmare had come back to haunt me. After some time and counselling I came to accept my situation and learned to deal with it the best that I can. I tried a cath but had trouble with it especially at night. I tried all types of "absorbant products" (my doctor's term) which I still use 24/7. I mostly use cloth diapers and plastic pants at home which is what my parents used on me in my youth. I also use disposable briefs mostly when I travel or know that I am going to be away from home for more than a couple hours.

I have accepted my incontinence as just another part of my daily routine and I refuse to let it slow me down.

Post subject: Welcome!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:13 pm 

DDS,
Welcome to the forum and all the post you've done so far. Your story sounds so familar. Most of the usual posters on this forum have been incontinent for some time, and they've been through exactly what you have described.
Thanks again for the post and look forwqard to many more! ........Paul Martin