www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rubber pants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:28 am 

How many of you wear rubber pants or panties (diaper covers)? To clarify, I mean pants actually made of rubber, not vinyl.

For some time now, rubber pants have been a standard item in my incontinence wardrobe. A few of you may recall having been put in rubber pants as a child. Today rubber pants are available, but are not a mainstream diaper cover.

Rubber pants have some definite pro's and con's. Rubber pants transmit less odor than most vinyl pants and all PUL pants. Due to its elasticity, rubber pants can achieve a good snug fit around thighs and waist. For con's, rubber pants are heavier than vinyl or PUL materials and often more expensive. Rubber pants often will be warmer than the other options but this is a con only during warm weather.

As I am both bowel and bladder incontinent, I value that my rubber pants transmit less fecal odor than the other choices. I easily became accustomed to the slightly heavier weight. With proper care, rubber pants can last for a long time.

When I think I am at higher risk of a bowel accident, I often will wear rubber pants over another diaper cover. The purpose of the inner diaper cover is to contain any fecal leaks from the diaper and keep fecal matter from reaching the rubber pants. Wearing the rubber pants over an inner pair of vinyl pants both protects outer clothing and does a great job of odor control.:D Of course, nothing completely stops odor control from a very messy diaper :( , but this combination will give you time to leave a social situation to go clean up and change.

One caveat - you will need to experiment to find the best size for you. Sizing is not well standardized for rubber pants and the best size of a rubber pant may not be the same as the size for your diapers.

John
(double incontinent)

Post subject: Re: Rubber pants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 pm 

Not that it matters to me, but I know I was raised in plastic pants over cloth diapers.

Quote:
When I think I am at higher risk of a bowel accident, I often will wear rubber pants over another diaper cover. The purpose of the inner diaper cover is to contain any fecal leaks from the diaper and keep fecal matter from reaching the rubber pants.
I would have thought that the rubber would be more stain resistant than the plastic pants inner cover. But perhaps the plastic pants are cheaper to replace?

I have looked at them but resisted buying. Knowing the size is one issue, but cost is another. I was thinking that rubber pants over pp might add to the bulk, but then I guess you really don't need compression pants in that case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:57 pm 

I have one pair of rubber pants and they work fairly good but what I don't like about them is that I have hairy legs and pulling them up and down pulls on the hairs.
The other thing I was not to thrilled about was the fact that rubber took more maintenance. But that is just me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:59 am 

My rubber pants can show fecal stains. :oops: I have not had that problem with vinyl plastic pants. So, the vinyl is on the bottom (pun intended) :mrgreen: with the rubber on top.

Re maintenance, I have had few problems. I usually hang the pants out to dry out before folding them and putting them away.

Rubber pants are more expensive, :( but with good care they will last for a long time. I do hand wash mine with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap and air dry them.

I also wear my rubber pants at night over either a premium disposable diaper or cloth.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 pm 

I prefer to use rubber pants and have for years. I do have vinyl and use
them at times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:56 pm 

I tried true rubber pants a while back, but went back to plastic/vinyl. It's been a while, so I don't remember with certainty, but I think it was a sizing issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:48 pm 

I wore rubber pants years ago, but was unable to keep them from tearing due to diaper pins. Clear polyurethane is much cheaper and lasts longer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:37 pm 

I do use a combination of PUL and Rubber pants with cloth snap diapers. Rubber does take some care with hand washing and hang to dry and light power but provides me with a lot of confidence. I have some that are more than three years old , and with rubber cement are not too hard to repair should a tear occur.

Paul Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:45 am 

Patrick, I did not use rubber pants when I wore pinned cloth diapers. I can see the problem posed by pins.

Paul, I never thought of repairing rubber pants with rubber cement. That makes sense. Great idea and thanks.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:04 pm 

I have wore rubber pants the last few years and found them very comfortable,I use them with both cloth diapers and disposibles,with proper care they can last up to a couple years. :P