www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diaper prices going up
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:33 am 

Northshore Care just raised the prices on all their diapers - their house brand, plus others such as BetterDry. A quick glance indicates about an 18% increase. :(

Ouch! That is a big jump. I am sure Northshore Adam has good justification for the large increase in prices, but it hurts. It certainly will impact my decision on whether to continue with some premium diapers or reconsider some medium-grade diapers.

I expect most vendors to follow suit in raising their prices. There probably will be some variation depending on the country of the diaper manufacturers.

However, if you do some quick research, you will find that some other suppliers have not yet followed suit in raising their prices and there are even some bargains to be found. You may wish to stock up, if you can. I just bought two more cases of BetterDry although I still had about 1 ½ cases on hand.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am 

I saw a youtube vid the other day indicating that the inflation rate has been much more than the advertised cost of living index (or whatever it was called). There's a lot of skulduggery behind it by taking the previous measures, like steak for example and then later allowing substitutions such as ground hamburger meat, in order to keep the index from rising so much. I've known this (that the inflation was worse than advertised) for over a decade but always got shot down in my discussions at performance review time. You see it everywhere now, but I see it when I go to buy breakfast cereals. What used to sell for $2.99 Cdn is $6.99 or even $7.99 now.

I hate spending money on diapers, even though I like the NS MegaMax. For overnight use I found that the TENA Super was good enough for my needs and was quite comfortable, even in the soggy morning. Being cloth backed, you do need to wear plastic pants with them but that is re-usable.

The TENA Super is still $1.36/per vs $4.60/per in Canuck bux. That's like a 70% premium for premium diapers! But it's just a matter of time before the TENA prices go up as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:27 pm 

On NorthShore Care, BetterDry in size Large is up to $2.06 per diaper, when purchased by the case. MegaMax in size Large is up to $3.00 each when purchased by the case.

At least the NorthShore Supreme price has remained the same - size Large is $2.26 each when purchased by the case.

For those of us who are completely IC, this will have a significant impact. I may need to pull my cloth diaper flats out of storage and use them during at least part of the day. However, I need to remember where I put my diaper pins! :(

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:13 pm 

I was talking to my wife about this today. We are debating stocking up just to make sure I have enough if times get worse.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:14 pm 

Ugh I certainly dont need such an increase. I've switched over to LL medico because they seem to be the cheapest for betterdry and also northshore doesn't sell XL. Im hoping that if diaper prices increases the amount my insurance pays will increase too. But I'm doubtful.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:16 pm 

Agree Wayne. Government is gaming the inflation numbers. Things that matter to me like gas and food are easily up over 15%. Check gas, milk, eggs and meat.....~20%. This is an election year and those in office it will do what they can to stay in their jobs. Human nature.
I'm primarily a cloth user. Certainly times when disposables are only option. Fortunately :? I'm UI only. I did notice cloth diapers are up little <10% at my supplier. The increased cost doesn't hurt as much since I can can get a couple of hundred washings out of one. Not as convenient as disposables, but a lot more comfortable and reliable.....an acceptable trade off for the cost of disposables, hassle of washing and extra bulk. Plastic cover pants were about the same last time I looked.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:40 am 

As I am both bladder and bowel incontinent, I would try to use disposables during the times I am most likely to have a bowel accident. However, that is not always possible. I really do not want to have to deal with messy cloth diapers and my wife would not be happy with my having to wash them in our only washing machine. :(

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:21 am 

Diaper pricing and availability was part of the motivation behind me jumping to cloth.

I agree with you JD about disposables being better for fecal accidents. Thankfully, for me they are rare.

I have invested a small fortune in cloth and hope to build an inventory that will last at least 5-7 years. I am hoping that the money I save not using disposables will be worth it. I find cloth diapers quite comfy, and Ecoable's new diaper covers are really comfortable and feature grown up prints. They also have newly improved pocket diapers and pullups too. I may invest in a dozen when I get the opportunity. Can't order anymore without breaking the bank. I already have a wee deficit between my CC bill and checking account.. so payday cant come soon enough next week.
Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:26 am 

Hi All

I have already cut back on things canceled subscription tv, don’t buy crisps/chips sweets or chocolate unless cooking sort! Never had alcohol drink, grow my own fruit/veg and so the money saving goes on!

We are going through tough times!

Best wishes all

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:53 am 

When using less capable (and less expensive) diapers, accidents will be more frequent. :( I often wear a second pair of plastic pants larger than the first so that the leg elastics will come further down the thigh to catch any leaks from the first diaper cover. They are so thin that the bulk is not noticeable.

--John
(double incontinent)