www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:42 pm 

Hi all

I have a new Urologist appointment in October after my last one (in 2019) refused to do anything due to my bladder issues in both retention and main incontinence and told me just to self cath (which I cat do due to my other disabilities incl essential tremors in hands) at the moment when I drink fluids I have issues with bladder going into sensory overload which is hell.

Medical History

ASD 2 / bipolar disorder / asthma /ADHD / Factor V Leiden / Fatty Liver / Obesity / Panic Disorder with agoraphobia / Complex PTSD / Plantar fasciitis (both feet).
Childhood abuse to the lower back. No issues/continence issues prior to 2009. Mobility issues
Spinal injury at L3L4L5S1 in 2009 (arthritis)/ L5/S1 Disc Bulge 2009

Past testing
Urology Cystoscopy 2010 Hospital
Urodynamics 1 2011 Hospital
US Abdomen 2012
CT Lumbar Spine 2012
US Renal and Lumbosacral 2012
Neurosurgeon report 2012/2013 hospital)
Urodynamics 2 2019 Hospital)
Continence Assessment 2019
US Renal 2020

Symptoms

Symptoms
Intermittent urinary incontinence- leakage every time I am in water (whatever I have in my bladder), waking up 2-3 times per night to go to the bathroom but been advised to void in diapers due to safety with my balance issues and medications, which causes severe sleep disturbances. Several bathroom trips at night, but came close to falling due to spinal and feet issues causing poor balance, as well as sedative nighttime medications, hence advised to void into diapers for safety reasons.

Occasional urinary retention, weak urinary stream, bladder sensory issues such as vibrations, cramping, and urgency, which are intolerable. Occasionally small urine volume during voiding when I feel bladder is full, urinary frequency and urgency, intermittent dribbling, not knowing most of the time bladder are full.

Long-term bowel constipation (occasional bleeds) found current Movicol and Laxatab not really effective.

Most of the time, if not for the urgency, I do not feel the need to use the bathroom. My support worker reminds me to use the toilet, yet not much comes out even though I have drank water. I also restrict fluids until I know I won’t leave the house so I am near the bathroom mostly habit but lack of fluids is also making me sick and I have been warned that this can damage my kidneys. My psychologist is also constantly reminding me to drink more fluids as it affects my physical health, energy, and mental health due to lack of fluids

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:22 pm 

Wow! That is one long list.
My guess is that, given your history, your urologist will order a complete workup, including a voiding cystourethrogram, during which you are wired, with leads placed on your genitals and perineal area, following which the staff will ask you to pee whie an Xray is taken of your bladder in action. This will be uncomfortable and embarrassing; try to remember that all males look pretty much alike and the staff see this several times every day they come to work. Good luck and keep us informed.