www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

Hello all,

I'm suffering from OAB since a bad bladder infection. Although i don't have had many wetting incidents, i'm afraid that in the future it will worsen towards incontinence.
Since this infection my bladder contracts more frequently and is far more sensible than before. The OAB is not very consistent, some days are going well, other days it's hopeless (the urge comes just after 15min)
In the last few months I found that my OAB is getting worse, there are days that after going to the bathroom, I get after a couple of minutes a feeling that I will be wetting myself if I don't go the toilet again.

I've been checked out at the doctors, but they found nothing wrong with me. As my fear is that is slowly goes down the road to incontinence, I want to do something about it. But what can I do since I do not cope with incontinence yet and many treatment options wouldn't work for me I think. The most obvious option is taking meds like detrol (etc.) but they have massive side effects and are in many cases not succesfull, so it's not something I would consider in the first place.
If any of you have suggestions I would really like to know !

Greets,
Peter

Post subject: OAB Treatment
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:42 pm 

Hi Peter!
Thanks for joining our group and for the post. OAB is a condition that effects a lot of people who don't realize that's their problem.
My wife has OAB but has not had any wetting accidents. Just the inconvienence of going to the bathroom way too often. She is on Detrol and has been for about a year. She says it has helped and she has no side effects. You may want to consider having your doctor allow you to try some samples to see if it helps you without the side effects. Keep in touch to let us know if this helps or if any other suggestion our members may have. ................Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm 

Hi Peter welcome to the Board. Sorry to here of your problems Have you gone to other doctors to get other opinions?................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:31 pm 

Unfortunately the drug route doesn't work for everyone... I'm a prime example of that. There are a few other options... diapers is an obvious one and I can totally understand if you don't want to start down that road.

I would certainly suggest going to other doctors... you are entitled to as many professional opinions as you can get. Stick to your guns until you find something that you feel you can live satisfactorily with.