www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 am 

I am wondering does anyone have a stent in for neurogenic bladder (OAB) my side affects are hesitancy, difficult starting to void, leakage, urgency, weak stream, dribbling, vibrations, cramping, sometimes unable to go. Have in the past been recommended to self cath by Urology nurse but deemed by continence nurse and Physical OT deemed unsuitable due to disabilities incl Autism, learning disorders and essential tremors in hands.

At night I have physical issues getting to the toilet due to falls due to bipolar sedatives I need and been told just to use my diapers.
I am wondering if something like this https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24419714 (which I will ask urologist if I ever see one (referral since Nov 2020) would help with eliminating sensations as it is driving me nuts as lately been waking up 3ish times a night as been trying to increase water intake so I am hydrated and my bladder has been in over drive the last 2 days as nearly fainted on Thursday due to dehydration. I am looking at this option as cathing is out and I want an easily reversible option.

As it is I have not been able to get any relief with the OAB meds possibly because if neurogenic caused as it was caused by my issues at L3L4L5S1.

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am 

Cant cope with the sensory overload anymore (I guess from the Autism) :'( also it is affecting my sleep which can affect my bipolar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 am 

Does that hold the bladder open? Do they still use those? I recall reading that there were bad results, including skin growing over them resulting in not being able to remove them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:41 am 

Sounds like you are feeling some extremely stressful feelings. Not being able to sleep well is the absolute worst for the body and mind.

Even though I can't relate to all your specific issues, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this right now.

Could meditation help? What I mean is: finding somewhere quiet and comfortable and taking a few moments to just concentrate on breathing without allowing your other aches and pains to cloud up your thought process.

Probably not the feedback your hoping for, but I hope things get better soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:04 pm 

Have you been scoped to if there are reasons for weak stream? I know that the urologist was quite concerned for my bladder having a weak stream.

In my case, the tissue on the sides of the sphincter valve had grown in such that even when the muscles relaxed, there was not much of an opening for passing urine (the scope would not even pass into the prostate for a bladder inspection). The urologist did an incision on both sides and followed with the insertion of a catheter for about a week. That has restored the flow. There could also be prostate related issues as well of course (BPH meds).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:33 pm 

sjp,

I too have a neurogenic bladder, with symptoms similar to those you reported. I will have a sphincterotomy/prostatectomy in the next few weeks, depending on when the hospital will reopen access to non-emergency patients; it is overrun with Covid patients now. If you understand that you may never again have any bladder control, and will need external catheters or diapers for the rest of your life, it can be a blessing. I too asked for a urinary stent to learn how it would affect me, but was denied. Understand that this will be a bloody procedure; you will have a blood-filled Foley in you for several days afterward, and you'll have perhaps two or three visiting nurse appointments after you return home. Keeping yourself clean will be an absolute requirement. With your sphincter gone, you will become vulnerable to urinary tract infections, which makes crazy clean not so crazy anymore. Good luck sorting this out, and report back when you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:30 pm 

Patrick wrote:
sjp,

I too have a neurogenic bladder, with symptoms similar to those you reported. I will have a sphincterotomy/prostatectomy in the next few weeks, depending on when the hospital will reopen access to non-emergency patients; it is overrun with Covid patients now. If you understand that you may never again have any bladder control, and will need external catheters or diapers for the rest of your life, it can be a blessing. I too asked for a urinary stent to learn how it would affect me, but was denied. Understand that this will be a bloody procedure; you will have a blood-filled Foley in you for several days afterward, and you'll have perhaps two or three visiting nurse appointments after you return home. Keeping yourself clean will be an absolute requirement. With your sphincter gone, you will become vulnerable to urinary tract infections, which makes crazy clean not so crazy anymore. Good luck sorting this out, and report back when you can.

Does this affect your prostate the sphincterotomy as I am 35 hence why I want the non permanent stent as still want a sex life

Last edited by sjpersonal on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:57 pm 

wayne wrote:
Have you been scoped to if there are reasons for weak stream? I know that the urologist was quite concerned for my bladder having a weak stream.

In my case, the tissue on the sides of the sphincter valve had grown in such that even when the muscles relaxed, there was not much of an opening for passing urine (the scope would not even pass into the prostate for a bladder inspection). The urologist did an incision on both sides and followed with the insertion of a catheter for about a week. That has restored the flow. There could also be prostate related issues as well of course (BPH meds).

My last scope was in 2010 (as issues getting referrals or getting lost in the NSW public system or Urologist not wanting to do anything had to argue with a disability advocate to get a second urodynamic done in 2018 as the urology department didn't even want to investigate nor answer my GP questions he had.

Routine prep plus drape. Intravenous antibiotics induction" Lithotomy position. 22 French cystoscope with 33" lens. Normal urethra, Normal urethelium

An unusual bulge in the line of the intra-vesical portion of the right ureter was notice. Consequently a right retrograde pyelogram, was performed this was normal

Left ureteric orifice was normal. No abnormality found.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:16 pm 

I just returned from a pre-op appointment with the intake nurses about the TURP/sphincterotomy I'll have next week. From what the nurses told me, this procedure is much more patient friendly than it was two decades ago, when I first had it. I'll be in over one night, not six, and I'll return home the next day. Nothing was said about visiting nurse appointments. I'll keep you updated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm 

Best of luck Patrick.