www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 pm 

Sorry for wasting your time with this however I figure its easier to ask here than spend a pile of money getting the right thing.

I finally made an appointment to see my doctor however it’s not for over a month. I have a minor issue with my bowel movements. I am very regular, I poo every morning. However if I don't get it out before becoming active in the morning, when the urge hits I've got very little time. I had to stop walking in the early morning with my wife because it got a bit humiliating having to carry a pack of Kleenex cause I might need to squat on the middle of the walking trail cause I couldn't take another step (fortunately the trail was secluded).

During the winter I work outdoors and don't have the option to do it where I am. On Saturday morning I finally blew it, I didn't make it in time and shit myself. It was brutally depressing and humiliating (fortunately no one found out) and I don't want to go through the aftermath, clean up and then a lack of clothes again.

I am okay with wearing a protective garment if that's what it takes but I really don't know what type is necessary or too much. Are diapers the option or is there something else less protective I can use? My stools mostly are soft and not diarrhea. Getting in and out of the underwear can be hassle as I am a ski patroller and getting out of the ski suit is also an issue.

Thanks in advance for this question.

Embarrassed for having to ask. Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:59 pm 

Stephen,

First, do NOT be embarassed. You are certainly not alone, and it's not a waste of time to ask advice here. You did the right thing in seeing a doctor, i only wish you would have done so sooner. May I ask how long you have had this problem? As far as protection goes, i don't really know from experience, since i don't have bowel incontinence. But, i think that a brief (that is, diaper with tape-on tabs) offers the best protection and containment for fecal issues. This is because the tapes offer a snug form fitting fit which is essential to trap the matter and to prevent it from escaping . I can understand the idea of wearing a diaper can be humiliating.. but, it certainly saves on embarrassment and laundry. I feel for you. Fecal incontinence is MUCH more difficult to deal with than urinary incontience, especially when it comes to skin care and odor. You must change as soon as you have an accident with bowel involvment, because fecal matter is very caustic to the skin.

Myself, i suffer from moderate to heavy urinary incontinence.. and when i had to start wearing briefs, it was difficult to accept. But, I feel much more confident in them because of the way they fit, and protect against a flood. I still make it to the bathoom occasionally.

And, while it's not an every day occurance, i have had rare accidents with my bowels...and this was before i startd wearing breifs for protection. But, my last bowel accident, i had a brief on, and it was so much easier to clean up afterward. So, wearing a brief would probably help a great deal. If it's only feces that is the problem, not urine, you should probably try to be as economic as possible. Check out the diaper primer on this site.. it has a few pointers to get you started. My first gut instinct reaction is Depend fitted briefs, because they are readily available and have leak guards.

Best of luck, and let us know how the doc appt goes!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:38 pm 

Hi there Stephen... sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully your doctor will get you straightened out soon. Sounds like you might have a bit of an IBS problem.

Really the only way to go when it comes to bowel incontinence protection is a full-on adult brief (diaper). They are the only things I know of that have enough padding and provide a secure enough fit to handle fecal matter.

I have urinary incontinence myself... but there are times when I will use my diaper for #2... so I know how it goes with the cleanup and all. I would reccomend trying out the Wallgreens or Rite-aid brand briefs... they are cloth-backed with velcro tabs so you can refasten them... they are also silent and nearly invisible under clothing.

It's a difficult thing to get used to I know... but believe me when I say the right protection will save you from tons of embarassment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 am 

Thanks for the replies, all your comments help. Looking at the symptoms for IBS I'm not sure they quite fit however the doctor will know for sure.

There isn't much public humiliation for me so far as I was able to hide the accident from others. The fact I couldn't control it was a minor surprise since it I had had problems holding it in the past.

I was hoping there was something other than diapers that would work. I see there are various disposable underwear (such as Depend) however there are so many types of underwear and diapers. Do I really need a maximum absorbancy diaper?

Thanks, S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 am 

The "protective underwear" that I've seen on the market is really intended for moderate urine loss and certainly is not something I would trust to hold much fecal matter for any period of time.

You can really tell by the shape of the rear padding... in underwear/pullups the rear padding is squared off and small, in briefs/diapers the rear padding is more generous and provides full rear coverage.

You could certainly try the pullups and see if they do the trick for you. No joke, I think it would really depend on exactly how big your shits are. Pullups may work to contain some light accidental loss... but IMHO if you end up full-out dropping a deuce in your pants you'll need the protection of a diaper.

In the end, finding the right type of protection comes down to a lot of trial and error. I tried out most every type of adult diaper on the market before settling with the ones I use now... and I still sample other brands occasionally to see if any improvements have been made.

Unfortunately for a lot of folks just (hopefully) needing temporary protection the retail market products (Depend, Store Brands) are all you get... and they're not very good. If you have a medical supply store (different from a pharmacy) in your area you could look there and see if they carry any of the higher-quality brands like Attends, Tena, or Tranquility. I personally use Abri-form myself and have never seen them in stores... only online. Check online or your yellow pages and see what is in your area.

Good luck in your search... keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:46 am 

Messing accidents can be reduced with a good bowel program. You have to be consistant for it to work. It's a real inconvenience at times but much easier than changing a diaper or worse.

Most of my accidents are early morning and urge related. But if daytime accidents are a problem, a simple evacuation prior to leaving the house will reduce the chance of a public accident. An enema or suppository will clean you out. It's not that big of a deal. A diet high in fiber or bulk producing fiber supplements helps prevent loose stool which for many is the biggest contributing factor.

I am mostly diaper free during the day and when i do anticipate problems can wear a less bulky disposable. If you experience large volume release like I do in the morning, you will have to wear something more substantial. I have always prefered cloth diapers because of skin issues. I have hoped for the market place to come up with an adult sized diaper liner to be used with cloth diapers. Baby liners are just not big enough. Unfortunately we are stuck with having to use a disposable diaper instead.

A good bowel program isn't the complete answer. But it will reduce public accidents and the need for heavier protection. Hope this helps.

Jack