www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:17 pm 

So I got a couple packs of samples from Aeroflow urology of diapers that my insurance covers. I think they are coveden. They are plastic backed like I requested but they have no leak guards! I’m scared to try them. They are supposedly “heavy absorption” but I’m skeptical. Anyone try diapers without leak guards?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:44 pm 

Lacking leak guards has been no problem for me but I only have urinary issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:10 pm 

My bowel incontinence has lessened as of late (yay!) but I do have large voids as I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder. I’ll try these this weekend when I can just sit on a chux pad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:57 am 

justj,

Just try them. I also am bowel incontinent and experiment with a variety of diapers. Tall internal standing leak guards always are the best choice. However, many diapers without them also perform quite well. Due to my medical situation, I experience several messy diapers a week, so I have some experience with the subject. :oops: Below are a few things to look for:

If diapers lack internal leak guards, it is essential that they have good elastic leg gathers that fit reasonably well.

Crotch width often is a factor. A wider crotch width provides more space to contain fecal matter before it pushes against the leg gathers. Some diapers have croth widths as narrow as 4.5" while a few are as wide as 12." Most males will find a width of 6" or wider to be comfortable as they are wide enough to encompass male genitals.

Good diapers for fecal incontinence have some additional space designed into the rear, sometimes called a “fecal containment zone,” “sag space,” or “drop zone.” This slightly droopy place in the rear of the diaper diaper provides a small amount of space where fecal material can be expelled and contained. This space significantly reduces the likelihood of fecal material being pushed over the internal leak guards and against the leg gathers. Otherwise, upon sitting down there would be a much higher likelihood of a leakage of stool.

Remember your diaper does not need to be "perfect," just "good enough."

Good luck!

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:59 pm 

Trash. These are complete trash and there’s no way they will work. Paper thin and the tapes are horrible. I can’t even in good faith give these away. In the garbage they go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:23 am 

I do not ever trust a diaper without leak guards. If you void a lot they are going to leak because noting wicks fast enough for a big void.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!