www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:49 pm 

So for my birthday, my dad has set up a family trip to Martha’s Vineyard. I will fly to Boston where I will meet my family and we will drive to Martha’s Vineyard from there. We are going from the 7th of September to the 13th. We did a family trip to Anna Maria island in Florida a couple years back and I had diapers shipped to a Walgreens on the island but there is nowhere on Martha’s Vineyard to do that and I can’t have anything shipped to the house we are staying at. I am left to check a large “medical supply bag” that will have my diapers and cpap machine in it. Has anyone done this? Should I call the airline beforehand? I’m a bit nervous as I’ve never had to do this. Can my cpap, diapers, and prosthetic supplies all go in one bag? I can pack the prosthetic supplies in my suitcase if need be. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:49 am 

justej wrote:
So for my birthday, my dad has set up a family trip to Martha’s Vineyard. I will fly to Boston where I will meet my family and we will drive to Martha’s Vineyard from there. We are going from the 7th of September to the 13th. We did a family trip to Anna Maria island in Florida a couple years back and I had diapers shipped to a Walgreens on the island but there is nowhere on Martha’s Vineyard to do that and I can’t have anything shipped to the house we are staying at. I am left to check a large “medical supply bag” that will have my diapers and cpap machine in it. Has anyone done this? Should I call the airline beforehand? I’m a bit nervous as I’ve never had to do this. Can my cpap, diapers, and prosthetic supplies all go in one bag? I can pack the prosthetic supplies in my suitcase if need be. Thanks.

Go to the Stop & Shop in Falmouth and ask for directions to the Marthastucket bridge. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:56 pm 

RC-UK wrote:
justej wrote:

Go to the Stop & Shop in Falmouth and ask for directions to the Marthastucket bridge. :lol:

What? Your joke totally flew over my head. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an update: my dad found a FedEx location that I can get my diapers shipped to on the island so I won’t have to navigate a huge bag, my suitcase and cane/crutches. I called Northshore and they said it’s no problem shipping there I just have to figure out the timing which is kinda nerve wracking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:00 pm 

justej....I'd contact the airline straight away and find out what their "medical supply" policy is. Second consider getting a medical necessity letter from your doc. Airline may have an exception for an extra bag if it is for medical supplies. That approach has worked out very well for me. Enjoy the trip. I'm a west coast guy, so have never been to Martha's Vineyard. Sounds like a really beautiful place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:39 am 

justej wrote:
RC-UK wrote:
justej wrote:

What? Your joke totally flew over my head. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your upcoming trip triggered a funny old memory for me. I grew up on Cape Cod. In the summer, tourists would often ask for directions to the bridge to either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. We called it the Marthastucket bridge. It doesn't exist, but many tourists have been sent on wild goose chases looking for it. Sending them to the Stop & Shop in Falmouth was one of our favorites.
I assumed if you were familiar with the Vineyard, you were familiar with the legend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:06 pm 

So my trip is a day away! I’m not packed yet :D but I’m not doing anything today and tomorrow so I have plenty of time. My diapers are waiting for me in Martha’s Vineyard. I got MegaMax for daily wear and go supremes for the beach. I’ll be packing some extra MegaMax in my bag cause I only ordered one pack. But I should fine. I’ll also be taking my reusable bed pad. I’m a little nervous because the house we are staying at isn’t accessible. I’ll be staying on the first floor though and my dad thinks there is a bathroom/shower there. I’m excited!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:16 pm 

Good luck and report back when you return home.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:46 pm 

Hope you are able to feel at ease and thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm 

So I’m back! I got back Monday evening and the trip was a success. I wore my prosthetic the whole trip (well when I wasn’t sleeping obviously) and did more walking than I have ever done. I’m paying for it now as I’ve spent the last two days in pain in bed. I had plenty of diapers. In fact I overpacked/ordered and had to bring some home. Which works out good actually because I didn’t have the funds to order my normal diapers this month so I’m relying on my back stock and the stuff I brought back. There was only one argument on the trip between me and my mom on the last day. It was early and we were both cranky. Lots of fun was had. Good food was eaten. No leaks. No issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 pm 

I was glad to read of your successful tip. Such successes are morale builders for us all. Keep up the good work.