www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 am 

I might be going out on a limb here but here goes, I have come to the realization that I like wearing diapers. I find them reassuring and comfortable to the point that if I no longer need to wear diapers, I don't know if I would want to stop wearing them.

Becoming incontinent almost nine years ago was not something I wanted to believe or even admit to. I struggled with the fact that I would be wearing diapers the rest of my life. I admit that it is a small price to pay for surviving my life threatening infection but a struggle nonetheless.

So here I am living life in the present and living a fairly normal life albeit in diapers but it's alright. I have come to grips with the diapers to the point that I find them quite comfortable. Does anyone else share my views? I am not running off joining an adult baby site. I guess i don't view wearing diapers as the big taboo I once did.

Post subject: Liking wearing diapers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:59 am 

Well, JRB. I think I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I've been incontinent since birth and after growing up in diapers I had come to hate diapers. Not that I could get along without them, but I didn't want to wear diapers any more! I looked into and purchased and tried just about everything I could find that addressed "embarassing leakage" and "bladder problems" which were the euphemisms way back for urinary incontinence. And if the package said "not a diaper" that was even better!

Most were pad and pant systems and felt so much lighter than my pin on diapers. I remember how wonderful that felt....up to the point they soon leaked. Undaunted, I kept at it. That era, while short lived, accounted for more embarasssing leaks and wet pants and wet furniture than any other time in my life.

As you can imagine, the day came along that an important event came up that I did not want to risk a leak and.....back to the hated, bulky, pin on diapers. The event went just fine, absolutely no problem with wet pants or furniture. I suppose that was the time of realization that diapers work and the other stuff was never going to be dependable for any predictable time. I had found myself having to watch the time closely to change out my pad before it leaked, but there were a lot of variables and inspite of the effort I was putting out, I was still getting wet pants.

At the end of that day of the important event I had dry pants and liked the idea of dry pants and not having to worry about leakage all day and went back to pin on diapers and consistant dry pants and no leak worries day after day.

Accepting diapers is hard. The stigma is tough to get over. But it's hard to overlook the benefit of diapers. The dryness. The peace of mind knowing you can sit on anything anytime and not leave a wet spot. It's being "normal" again. Diapers let me be normal....what a revelation!

So now, I can say that I like what diapers do for me. If my incon could be cured I would love to be out of the diapers and into nice thin cotton underwear. I would not miss the laundry or the constant bulk and need to hide the bulk each day. But that's not going to happen. As long as there is risk of leakage, I "like" my diapers as an alternative to wet pants or even the worry of wet pants.

JRB, you added that you liked diapers now to the point that you'd wear them even if you didn't have the leakage anymore....and that may be a kind of "backlash" effect. You have discovered how well diapers prevent embarassment and the feel of a diaper between your legs and wrapped around you contributes to that feeling of "well being" that you are protected from any potential embarassment, and that is a very comfortable feeling, both physically and emotionally.

JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 am 

I feel the same way. I'd love to be out of diapers and back in to regular underpants. But, it would feel odd to not be wearing a diaper. I've gotten used to them, and do find them comfortable. It will be an adjustment being cured and going back to wearing underpants. But it would be an adjustment im willing to make.

This doesnt make me an ab/dl however.. I don't consider myself one.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Last edited by sociologygeek on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 am 

Over the years I have grown to enjoy my diapers. I tried most every brand available before sticking with Abriform... their products are top-notch, very comfortable and superbly absorbant.

Honestly there are plenty of times I appreciated having them from a purely utilitarian standpoint. Concerts, festivals and sporting events... crowded shopping centers and malls... at the movies... car trips and traffic jams... especially anywhere there are those nasty porta-potties. Believe it or not there have been times that my friends have made use of some spare diapers that I keep in my changing bag to save themselves from an uncomfortable and embarassing situation when stuck in traffic.

If I had never been forced to use the diapers I would never have considered them in the first place... but now that I have learned to trust them I don't think I would go without them even if I could. I don't completely understand the negative social connotations that adult diapers carry in American culture... but I will tell you that my friends are my friends reguardless of my undergarment choice. Anyone who would belittle or scorn someone because they wear diapers doesn't deserve any respect in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 pm 

I don't consider myself an AB but I also have become a DL. I guess it is just natural to form an attachment to the protection. I've been wearing protection for almost a decade and have been completely depending on briefs for #1 for about 4 years now. I get stressed just walking out of the shower until I put on a brief. After that I am clam again and feel like a huge burden has been lifted. I no longer have to worry about wetting onto the floor. So I also think I would have trouble retraining if a miracle cure for urge incontinence was discovered. The cure would need to be very low risk, 100% reliable, and not take more than a couple of months of retraining to be worth it to me. My urologist did come up with a surgery plan a long time ago that would have probably worked; bladder augmentation and 6 month collagen injections into the sphincter muscle. But as you can imagine, it is far from low risk and 100% reliable. The most likely outcome would be that I would be dry most of the time and then suddenly have a flooding release every couple of months. The worst case outcomes were terrible. If something went wrong during the surgery, I could even end up being a paraplegic. After so many years of relying on briefs it would be hard for a doctor to convince me of alternatives. I do sometimes wear a condom cath with a pullup for backup if I am developing a rash, but that's about as far as I will go with alternatives to briefs. My ulcerative colitis also causes IBS so it feels good to know that at least I will not ruin my clothes and furniture if I do have a bowel accident. Fortunately for me bowel accidents rarely happen after my morning routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 am 

Anyone who is incontinent and wears diapers for protection gets use to the fact that either you live in the bathroom or you have some form of protection. If you choose to use the diaper for protection sooner, or latter you get use to wearing/using the diaper. I don't know that I would go so far as to say I'm a DL, but I've been incontinet and wearing/using diapers for so long I would feel naked without wearing a diaper. If that makes me a DL,......well, I guess I am a DL then,... but I don't think so. I maybe wrong, but I would be very superised if I was the only person that ever used the diaper I was wearing because I might not have made it in time to the bathroom. I guess there will always be those that call this lazy, or convenience, but when your incontinent and wearing diapers how is anyone to know, and what difference does it really make? I don't think this makes any incontinent person an AB, or a DL. I think its normal for anyone that is incontinent and diaper dependent to become use to wearing/using a diaper.....that just goes with the territory and that doesn't mean I'm a AB, or DL.....at least not to me it doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:13 pm 

Hi all was reading the post's and yes when my incon started it was bad but later after accident's it was alot more secure to wear the diaper for peice of mind and no wet pants.