www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:09 am 

I am having bilateral partial knee surgery in a couple of days.

With nighttime incontinence it's a simple cost effective solution with cloth diapers. However with urge incontinence and moving around and being around others it has involved into more of an issue as it progresses.

Male pads and even adult pull up's cannot handle the volume that I encounter. Diapers are the best solution however the cost factor isn't.

So by calling diapers a luxury has two meanings to me. Luxury since its expensive and relaxing after my surgery on both knees will be a luxury wearing them 24/7. The use of a bedpan or bottle while sitting around others won't work.

Being able to wear them with urge incontinence will be comforting knowing I won't have to get to the toilet with my walker constantly.

Just wish they weren't so expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:52 am 

One way you might be able to reduce the cost is to use a combination pad and premium tape-up diaper or premium pull-up approach. You can just change out the pads as needed and the diaper catches any "overflow". Yes, you'll go through quite a few pads but it should be less expensive than several premium diapers. I've used this approach many times, especially the pull-up idea while on travel, and it works well with a little practice. Using the pull-up also allows you to easily use a bathroom if you can get to one in time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:25 am 

@Padded53. Thanks, I've heard of this method before. Somewhat forgot about it, thanks.

I'm thinking though the diaper would be better to support the weight without sagging. Just wondering about redoing the tapes over and over. Maybe I could keep it taped on and pull them out and tuck back in. Can you suggest a good diaper pad?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:20 pm 

Yes. I get this sentiment.

So, a suggestion you can try:
McKesson makes an extended wear tabbed brief that is decent as far as amounts it can handle. They are also only $10 a pack on Carewell.com. I would add a booster to the front (cloth works well if that is an option). I would also wear a really spandexy pant over it, because they tend to sag. Kind of weird; but I found some high-waisted, yoga booty shorts that totally fix this problem. (Wife helped me get creative). They pull up tight over the hips, and pull everything in close. There's a seam that runs up the middle of the crotch that helps with support.

Hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:43 pm 

look at the numbers if you are doing ok with pads and or pull ups and diapers pads you go threw 7 or so pads and pull ups say 4 to 5 a day and you cut down to say 3 diapers a day in the long run it would be cheaper to use diapers and a heck of a bunch more easy than the dang pull ups changing them where ever you may end up needing to change at a diaper would be more a chance making it home or to a place you feel safe changing at