www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The BIG chill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:09 pm 

Hi everyone!
Ellyn from Texas here.
We were out of power for 48 hours and it’s now been on about 24 hours, “off and on”. I keep holding my breath for the next outage. I’m getting blue!
My husband has spent sleepless nights and days checking on and fueling our generator, which maintains our home to near normalcy. We have never the less had periods in the night where our pipes in our attic wanted to freeze. He kept going through the house running hot and cold water every hour. He reported a few times the water came out a slow trickle for a moment, then flowed normally. It’s supposed to get cold again (teens) for the next two nights at least. The chance of losing power again are high but the generator remains fueled and ready. Our ranch 250 miles away isn’t likely in good shape, I fear. My husband is a walking zombie due to lack of sleep.
Our neighbors are all suffering broken pipes and much damage and stores in the area are either closed or out of repair parts. My husband has a small supply of plumbing supplies and has been away helping where he can.
This is a catastrophe brought on by incompetence of our power regulators and extremely poor planning, not power lines down, etc. Windmills are frozen and there’s no sunlight for solar generation, which is part of the problems. Then AOC has the nerve to say if her Green New Deal was funded, this wouldn’t have happened (????!!!). Really?
We all look forward to next week when temps will supposedly get back to normal, as with our lives. I’m exhausted and STRESSED.

Post subject: Re: The BIG chill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm 

I am so sorry to hear about you and the challenges that you are all having in Texas.
I support you and am thinking about you.
Most importantly, vent away and lean on us as much as you need to!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 pm 

I am so sorry Ellyn , the images we are seeing here in our Canadian news regarding Texas are heart gripping and make my wife and myself so sad that this is happening in your part of the world. I am glad you have a generator and we can only pray that this gets sorted as quickly as humanly possible. We will hope and pray for a turn in the weather. Thank you for sharing, it really brings it home when someone we all have come to know and appreciate is touched by such a devastating event like the one you are experiencing right now. Our thoughts are with you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 pm 

Praying for you and your family's safety, and strength to push through this.

Totally agree it's totally disgusting to politicize a disaster like this. I feel so bad about what I'm seeing and hearing. I live in the northern states and we've been in sub-zero temps for the last couple weeks. I can't imagine my heat not working through that.

Please hang in there and keep us posted! :(

C.G.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:53 pm 

We are all fine and getting back to normal. The power was on all day and cell service is back as well as internet.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. The nightmare continues for SO MANY that have been affected by the cold and loss of power. I personally know of several dealing with thousands in property damage due to ruptured pipes. Please pray for the many that are still suffering and those trying to recover.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:17 pm 

I have been in contact with my family in Texas and my brother has no water due to the apartment below him had a busted pipe. My sister and mom had to bundle up numerous times due to loss of power. Mom is in her 80's so it affects her even more. The other brother has been out of power for over a day. Lucky he has a heater that can be used inside that doesn't require power.

Over all it is a big mess and it doesn't matter what politicians say, When you think you are prepared for what Mother Nature will bring, Mother Nature will surprise you.

No doubt this will bring change to several things, but if dealing with old infrastructure and unproven technology there will be failure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 pm 

Ellyn,
My heart goes out to everybody who must deal with incontinence and power loss. However, Texas lost power back in 2011, under similar circumstances, but nothing was done to winterize the system, with the catastrophic results we see on tv every day.