www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:38 pm 

My order this month was: 1 case of MegaMax in black. 2 cases of Northshore supreme. 1 case of large boosters.

I have a guy that bills my insurance for me so I don’t pay full price but it still comes out to $170. I’m on ssdi and just don’t have the money. Luckily I got hooked up with a meal program that helps with 1 meal a day so that cuts down on that. I just need to find something else. My supply guy suggested tena but my voids are large (I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder) and I can’t have them leaking during physical therapy and stuff. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:53 pm 

I find using cloth diapers\plastic or rubberpants are a cost savings in the long run, intially it may cost a little bit more depending how heavy you wet,check out the cost and do the math, take care.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:00 pm 

I cannot do cloth. I don’t have my own washer and dryer. I also cannot wear them at physical therapy and cannot afford a huge initial cost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:54 pm 

As I've mentioned before try using a folded cotton cloth/pad in your main diaper. When using the pad the main diaper doesn't have to be a super premium one since the pad does most of the heavy absorption and does it quicker than any diaper top sheet can. This why so may on here recommend a cloth diaper. However the beauty of this system is that you don't need a washing machine to clean these pads after use. Simply rinse them out in the sink and then hand wash in the sink with a tiny bit of Clorox 2, wring, and hang to dry. I have to do this many mornings when I've had overnight leakage and it takes all of five minutes. If you've got a sink and running water you can do this very easily. Cost is about $10 for 10 cloths at Walmart, or less than two Starbucks coffees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:38 pm 

Padded: I’ll definitely pick some up but I need to find a cheaper diaper. I need recommendations

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:13 pm 

EJ:
That's the beauty of this system, you don't need nearly as premium of a diaper since the folded pad is doing most of the work and it can be changed out fairly easily. It can also be folded differently or added to to suit your needs. The pads are actually Walmart Mainstays Flour Sack Towels, really just thin 100% cotton cloths so they clean up easily and dry quickly.
BTW... Congrats on your new prosthetic, it sounds like it will really be a game changer for you and greatly improve your mobility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:03 pm 

Padded: I have them in my cart on my Walmart app. They only had the packs of 20 for $20 but I literally have $160 to my name for the rest of the month so I’ll buy them next month. And my order from Northshore comes tomorrow so I’ll be set for the remainder of the month. I already wash my liner liners at the end of the day so washing these won’t be too bad. I also may be able to get tranquility booster pads coverd under my insurance. My supply guy is out of town until next Friday but I’ve asked to get a sample of tena. Anyway thanks for the congrats! The leg has been great so far. I wore it out to pay my rent today with no issues. I took 2 busses to do it and had to stand at the post office. I didn’t sleep last night and I was out for quite awhile. I have really bad insomnia so….

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:16 am 

Sounds like a good plan. I think once you have experimented with them and get the right set up for you you will be very impressed with how well this system works. You will still need a diaper but should be able to get away with a much cheaper one compared to a Mega Max.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:44 pm 

Yea I’m just trying to figure out what brands to go for. My supply guy suggested tena hence my wondering what folks experience was. I don’t even know if they have leg guards or if they can handle the occasional bowel episode. I did get a shipment of barrier cream wipes, gloves, a&d cream and a bottle of lotion today that was covered by my insurance. My Northshore order is delayed to tomorrow cause they didn’t have enough drivers. Which is fine I’m ok on diapers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:40 am 

justej wrote:
Yea I’m just trying to figure out what brands to go for. My supply guy suggested tena hence my wondering what folks experience was. I don’t even know if they have leg guards or if they can handle the occasional bowel episode. I did get a shipment of barrier cream wipes, gloves, a&d cream and a bottle of lotion today that was covered by my insurance. My Northshore order is delayed to tomorrow cause they didn’t have enough drivers. Which is fine I’m ok on diapers.

Justej,

I would NOT recommend Tena for bowel protection, and certianly not for the very heavy voids your're dedcribing. I use the Tena Ultra on a daily basis as a low cost(free! Medicaid :) around-the-house diaper and operate on a change-when-wet basis. I believe they will handle 1 or 2 moderate to heavy voids, maybe 3 before needing a change. With their thin padding I highly doubt they would stand up to the kind of pounding your bladder would put out. And they lack leakguards, which are ESSENTIAL for bowel incontinence. I would give Medline Extended wear a try with a booster pad plus flour sack towels. If you can change frequently enough, they just might help. They have held up to my bowel oopses and field tests quite well only failing once and that was due to having a very liquid and large BM and then having to sit. With a pair of vinyl pants, they have stood the test of time against regular sized and solid ish bowel movements.
Hope this helps :)

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II